Field(s) of expertise
About this job
Leonardo is an international leader in the development of cutting edge sensor products deployed across a wide range of airborne platforms for our Aerospace and Defence customers. Pushing the boundaries of technology, accuracy, and safety in engineering globally – our technology defines the capability of the Eurofighter Typhoon; our products help to return service men and women safely home; our surveillance radars help coastguards save lives at sea; our thermal cameras are used in BBC’s winter and autumn watch; and our perimeter security was used at the Commonwealth Games.
You will be working within a vibrant capital city, with excellent transport links and walking distance to various key destinations. As an organisation that places great emphasis on personal development, you will receive on the job training with the opportunity to be upskilled to develop your skill set. There is also opportunity to receive additional training through taught courses, subject to business needs. Joining Leonardo offers fantastic benefits including half day Fridays, flexible working, free gym membership etc. Take that next step in your professional career and join an organisation that takes great pride in their employees, implements successful development plans and a great work life balance.
- Due to an increasing workload across a number of key development projects, Leonardo in Edinburgh is currently recruiting for Senior/Principal Electronics Engineers into our Radar business to work in our RF/Microwave development team.
- We are a close- knit, skilled design team working at the cutting edge of engineering for Aerospace and Defence. As an RF/Microwave Development Engineer you will be involved in the full hardware lifecycle for our products: from system concept, through detailed design and prototyping, test and verification, system integration and support in production.
- You will be responsible for creating high quality and robust designs, for fully documenting and recording your work products, keeping them under configuration management and providing plans and progress reports. You will be developing a range of multifunctional RF PCB and Module designs using the latest technologies available and enhancing your understanding of key design and manufacture processes.
- Within your role you will: carry out all detail design activities from requirements capture to design verification; ensure design reviews are completed successfully; prepare robust manufacturing data packs; provide technical support to sub-contracts and engineering interface with manufacturing. Working closely with Systems, Test and Electronics engineers you will be solving real integration problems on complex systems.
- Dependent on your interests and experience, you will be required to supervise a small team, taking responsibility for planning and managing the workload for both yourself and the team and ensuring robust engineering solutions are in place. In addition, you will have opportunity to influence the future path of hardware development within the organisation.
- In order to be considered for this role you will have previous experience working within a similar electronics role and level.
- You will ideally have a first or second Degree in Electronic Engineering (BSc, BEng, MEng, MSc, PhD, EngD) or a related science with specialisation in RF/Microwave circuit design and test – ideally including S-parameter manipulation, EM simulation, Non-linear circuit simulation and modelling, Matching network design and Microwave component selection along with expert knowledge in one or more of AWR Microwave office, CST Microwave studio, Agilent ADS, or AWR Visual System Simulator.
- It would be desirable, to have knowledge and practical design experience of some of the following; Microwave PCB materials & design techniques; Microwave Sub-System Design; Knowledge of microwave power amplifier design & technology; Design of complex microwave switch matrix; Application of microwave GaAs/GaN MMIC; Design of complex passive microwave structures; EM 3D and 2D simulation techniques; Non-linear circuit simulation; Microwave component selection; Requirements capture and management; Design for manufacture and cost.
- Operating within a fast paced environment, you will be able to work to tight deadlines to ensure business objectives are successfully achieved.
- Note that due to the nature of the tasks involved, you will have to achieve full SC security clearance and may need to satisfy further UK eyes only and ITAR conditions.ITAR.