Field(s) of expertise
Project & Service Management Business Administration & Finance
About this job
We are a professional services and technology partner to global, defence, energy, space and intelligence & communications programmes. Because of our forward-thinking teams, mission-critical equipment operates effectively in the world’s most challenging environments. Whether sharing innovative solutions or manufacturing advanced systems, absolute trust is core to all we do. In addition to our Group head office made up of support roles we also have two core business streams which are:
- Technology & Engineering. Design, deliver and support high-integrity systems from our facilities in Portsmouth, Manchester and Melksham. Engineering teams apply advanced techniques to produce solutions for our customers which can be relied upon for long service life, in difficult or dangerous environments. These include: atmosphere control systems for nuclear submarines and thermal management systems for chemical processing and energy industries.
- Consulting and Programme Services (CaPS). Provide through life services to enable our clients to manage the evolution of their own systems and services, in their own domain. Leveraging our long heritage of experience of designing, delivering and supporting safety, mission and business critical systems, we provide individuals with domain leading knowledge, skills and experience who can work within client teams or take full responsibility for the delivery of outcomes.
Our people make us the successful company we are and have a TEAM TP Group culture. These values are:
- Achieve together
- Embrace responsibility
- Strive for excellence
- Build unity
- Challenge ourselves
- Have integrity in all we do
As a Cost Modeller Consultant for TP Group, you will be providing the evidence to assist your clients industry make better decisions. This may be working autonomously within customer teams to support business cases with analytical thinking and outcomes, modelling of procurement and in-service costs, leading workshops with customers and Subject Matter Experts to improve accuracy and understanding of project costs.
Responsibilities will include:
- Delivering technical consulting projects.
- Identifying and winning work within your clients sector.
- Building new relationships, and maintaining relationships with existing customers.
- Using and developing problem structuring methods and a variety of tools and techniques, including novel approaches where required.
- Working autonomously within customer teams to deliver rapid turn-around analysis, or using one of the company’s offices as a team hub from which to plan and deliver tasks.
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills to enable the development of cost models that satisfy JSP 507 / JSP 655 guidelines.
- Knowledge of Investment Appraisals, Trade Studies, Business Cases, and Cost Benefit Analysis to support stage gate approvals.
- Good knowledge of statistics in support of parametric modelling, sampling and risk assessment.
- Independent Cost Estimating. Experience in methods of estimating including detailed, comparative and parametric techniques in support of both hardware and software systems acquisitions and through life support.
- Understanding and developing cost estimates that take account of development, manufacture and support environments, allowances, overheads, profit, Government Furnished Assets & Resources, historical costs, and Estimating Maturity Assessment levels.
- Development of robust cost models that satisfy independent Verification & Validation scrutiny.
- Cost / Schedule Risk Analysis. Knowledge of quantitative assessment of uncertainty, cost and schedule risk assessment.
- Independent Verification and Validation audit against 3rd party supplied cost models.
- Knowledge of Earned Value Management. Understand the techniques and formulas used to create EV outputs. Have experience in managing data and processing the outcomes to deliver analysis of results.
- Using logical and analytical thinking to solve complex problems for the client. Strives to deliver ahead of targets.
- Working within client teams to influence strategic decision makers whilst delivering practical solutions.
- Be a trusted individual who can perform when working as part of a team or when acting independently with support from colleagues.
- Be articulate with good presentation and written communication skills.
- Be dependable, committed and have a genuine enthusiasm to contribute to the growth of a successful business.
- The ideal candidate will be educated to degree level (or have experience that will enable them to meet ICEAA or AcostE membership criteria).
Preferred but not essential:
- Be a member of an appropriate professional body (such as ICEAA, ACostE) and have a desire for further professional development.
- Knowledge of and application of Visual Basic.
- Experience as a cost management consultant in either the MOD, business and safety critical programmes or public sector project environments.
- Application of Risk tools such as @Risk.
Company benefits include:
- 25 days’ holiday
- Company pension scheme
- Free Parking
- Candidates must have an existing right to live and work in the UK.
- Candidates will need to undergo an internal BPSS check prior to gaining site access.
- Candidates will also need to either hold a current SC clearance or be willing and eligible to undergo a Security Clearance check (SC level) upon starting their employment with the company. To gain SC clearance you will normally need at least 5 years’ UK residency.