Field(s) of expertise
Business Administration and Finance Project and Service Management
About this job
Leonardo Helicopters part of the multi-national Leonardo Group is a world leader in the design, manufacture and support of helicopters. We have a great heritage and pride ourselves both on our reputation for excellence and for providing opportunities for our people. Here is your chance to become part of the success story.
We are looking for a talented Technical Safety Adviser to join our UK team based at our Yeovil site in the South West of England.
Employment benefits include a competitive salary, 25 days annual leave, salary sacrifice childcare voucher scheme, the opportunity to join an award winning pension scheme, free car parking, employee discount scheme, an on-site Occupational Health Service, flexible working, flexi -leave scheme and a generous relocation package.
- To ensure through overseeing the correct application of the relevant company Health, Safety & Environmental management systems and practices, the effective implementation and maintenance of safe and legally compliant places of work in respect of all LHUK activities.
- The Post Holder will give particular focus to those activities comprising mechanical and chemical engineering; assembly; repair and overhaul; maintenance and construction.
- The Post Holder will carry into effect such HS& E strategies and objectives that are established by the LHUK Health, Safety & Environment Manager as part the wider development of LHUK Safety Management Systems.
- The Post Holder will also undertake any relevant activities in support of the acquisition and maintenance of such external standards and accreditations as the company may seek to attain.
- The Post Holder may by exception deputise for the Technical Safety Manager where the need arises.
- Manage and support the activities of a dedicated team of Specialist Safety Advisors in relation to mechanical and chemical engineering; assembly; repair & overhaul; maintenance and construction processes within the strictures imposed by the LHUK S.M.S.
- Manage and support as required Specialists from other disciplines in line with projects and the ‘tasking by skill-set’ arrangement.
- Ensure the provision of an appropriate level of advice to LHUK Managers in relation to the execution of their duties within the SMS and EMS.
- Support the introduction and maintenance of the centralised ‘tasking by skill set’ arrangement.
- Support the LHUK HS&E Manager in the course of all external audits; inspections and visits.
- Support the LHUK HS&E Manager in the development of policy, procedures and practices.
- Liaise with and support the general activities of the LHUK Safety Management team.
- Liaise, advise and support as required the wider Leonardo HS&E group.
- Engage with and support the ‘Safety Protects’ initiative in all respects including Aircraft Safety
- Co-ordinate & ensure the delivery of the following:
- Risk Assessment programmes, including generic and change-related updates.
- Timely Accident Investigations iaw company policy.
- Robust and considered Management Safety Audits and Monthly Safety Inspections.
- Suitably structured and detailed local safety meetings.
- Local development of safe systems of work iaw with company policy.
- Local development of safety improvements pursuant to the annual Objectives iaw company policy.
- Oversee and report on the manner of the application of company HS&E policy to the extent of ensuring legal compliance and satisfying the requirements of all external examining bodies and the enforcing authorities.
- Through the use of the appropriate company processes, procedures and protocols report to managers on deficiencies in the application of the SMS where found and provide pragmatic assistance in resolving the issues at the earliest opportunity.
- Act as a mentor to the members of the HSE core team with less experience than themselves and aid in the provision of CPD to promote skill growth across the team.
- To oversee the effective and compliant delivery of safety services to (approx.) 3000 employees and contract staff.
- Responsible for up to 5 personnel (permanent / contract).
- The role is primarily intended to cover the activities at the Yeovil site, however where directed, the Post Holder will assume temporary or permanent responsibility for similar activities at any premises within the LHUK portfolio.
- The NEBOSH Diploma or a similar Health & Safety Management qualification at NVQ Level 4 or above, ideally holding chartered membership of IOSH or equivalent and associate membership of the IEMA.
- Detailed knowledge of UK statutory regulations in respect of health, safety & environment.
- Detailed technical knowledge and experience of manufacturing methods; factory services, maintenance & facilities requirements and construction projects.
- The Post-Holder will possess significant experience in a manufacturing / engineering environment with responsibility providing professional business support services.
- Interpersonal and team skills to the extent of being able interact and communicate at all levels.
- Negotiation skills to the extent of being able to deal effectively with managers; employees; customers; suppliers and the enforcing authorities.
- Project Management skills.
- Possession of role–related specialist skills & knowledge such as CDM / EMF or COSHH etc.
- Possession of a suitable Safety Training qualification such as ‘PTTLS’.
- Financial / Budget awareness.
- Basic computer literacy to the extent of using company systems and soft-ware to undertake analysis and the generation of professional reports.