Field(s) of expertise
Aerospace Engineering Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
About this job
Leonardo Helicopters part of the multi-national Leonardo Group is a world leader in the design, manufacture and support of helicopters. We have a great heritage and pride ourselves both on our reputation for excellence and for providing opportunities for our people. Here is your chance to become part of the success story.
We are looking for a talented Industrialisation Tooling Engineer to join our UK team based at our Yeovil site in the South West of England.
Employment benefits include a competitive salary, 25 days annual leave, salary sacrifice childcare voucher scheme, the opportunity to join an award winning pension scheme, free car parking, employee discount scheme, an on-site Occupational Health Service, flexible working, flexi -leave scheme and a generous relocation package.
Develop and provide technical support for tooling in the manufacture of Vital and non-Vital composite rotor blade products within the Centre of Excellence, ensuring continuous improvement in product quality and reduction of costs. Specify and manage the design, acquisition, installation and support of special purpose tooling, plant and equipment with attention to quality, cost and delivery and to comply with all legislative requirements for the Health and Safety of the end user.
This is a permanent position and the person appointed will be required, under the direction of a Team Leader, to design, procure and introduce into production all types of tooling and equipment used in the manufacture of composite rotor blade components. In this role there will also be the opportunity for training to expand the individuals’ capabilities into the creation NC programs for a variety of machine types (ply cutting, laser projection, CMM, 3 & 5 axis machining centres).
- Define, design and procure tooling to support production manufacture using Advanced CATIA processes.
- Create 2D tool drawings for approval by Section and Technical team leader.
- Create the required tooling technical documentation to support the tool procurement process managed by Central Tooling.
- Respond to tooling suppliers queries regarding the tool design during the quotation and manufacturing phase, in a timely manner.
- Manage tooling tasks via the SAP tooling notifications, closing tasks when completed and releasing for final closure.
- Provide specialist CNC and logic control programming support to production plant and equipment, namely XY ply cutting machines, Selmec tape winding machine, Laser Ply Projection machines, Cross cut saw, offline programming of Coordinate measurement machine and/ or any other machine additions or replacements.
- Liaise with Production to resolve manufacturing process problems using appropriate tooling solutions in a timely manner.
- Provide support to Engineering to ensure that design-solutions use best manufacturing practices and can be economically tooled and manufactured.
- Carry out process development where required in support of new technologies, products and processes.
- Review the manufacturing processes and ensure continuous improvement, through the use of tooling best practice, to reduce costs and improve quality.
- Maintain a working knowledge of current processes and equipment and recommend improvements that would benefit the department.
- Liaise, support and advise Purchasing, Quality and external suppliers to ensure processes are controlled and product integrity is achieved.
- Create indirect purchase requisitions for consumable tooling items as requested. Goods receipt items within SAP ECC6 upon delivery.
- Support capital investment submissions, specifying the equipment requirement, assisting the capital justification and down selecting of the final solution. Assist with implementation of new plant and equipment to support production.
- Take a pro-active approach to improve and support all aspects of Health and Safety. Ensure tools and equipment are designed and procured to meet the Health & Safety standards required by the Company.
- Define clear work instructions of tooling or NC programs for manufacturing processes.
- Implement corrective actions by reviewing with the Team Leader non-conformance. Identify the root cause and take effective action to eliminate any further occurrence.
- Work with Engineering to develop tooling solutions for new products.
- Support business project and improvement activities when required.
- Support the department as is reasonable to maintain component deliveries.
- A recognised engineering qualification in a mechanical, production or aeronautical discipline, or a recognised engineering apprenticeship and/or appropriate experience.
- Must have completed a minimum of 5 years experience in a tool design or NC programming position.
- Knowledge of composite component tool design and/or composite component manufacture
- Good working knowledge of CATIA V5 for tool design. CATIA V4 knowledge desirable.
- A working knowledge of creating NC programs for 2D ply cutting machines and laser projection systems, coordinate measurement machine programming experience desirable.
- Ability to use the various components of MS Office.SAP ECC6 and CAPP knowledge advantageous.
- A sound understanding of composite manufacturing technology.
- Good inter-personal and communication skills
- Ability to work within a multi-disciplinary team.
Please note that applications will only be accepted if you are eligible to live and work in the UK. We are not a Tier 2 Visa sponsoring Company. This role may also require the successful candidate to hold full UK MoD Security Clearance.