Field(s) of expertise
Electronics Engineering Software Engineering
About this job
This Systems Engineering vacancy presents an exciting opportunity for an individual to develop and grow into a pivotal post at Leonardo working on cutting edge technology projects and tasks ranging in duration from a few months to a few years.
The job holder will be joining a growing dedicated team required to perform all systems engineering tasks related to the engineering lifecycle primarily in systems definition and support to bidding activities but also covering integration, acceptance and test. This will include production of test requirement and schedule documents, and the performance of both formal and investigatory systems tests and support and will involve frequent and effective multi-functional interaction and communication i.e. Electronics, Hardware, Mechanical, Software.
A working knowledge of communication systems would be an advantage.
The candidates will be required to design robust engineering solutions taking into account all relevant requirements, within the agreed budget and schedule constraints. They will be required to make technical decisions within their own sphere of influence. They will undertake various tasks within an Integrated Project Team, including:
- Capture the system requirements.
- Allocate the system level requirements to sub-systems based on the system architecture.
- Show traceability and establish verification methods of systems engineering requirements.
- Support the implementation of system level requirements.
- Provide system engineering support to investigation and definition of communication system architectures/protocols for inclusion in project bids. Continue design and development of such architectures/protocols throughout the project development.
- Plan and conduct studies in a wide variety of communication technologies including SDR, RF, telecommunications and bespoke solutions.
- Plan and conduct research in new communications concepts.
- Operate as Design Authority / Equipment Lead throughout the project development and manufacturing phase.
- Liaison with the test and acceptance team to ensure timely customer acceptance.
- Modelling of components of the System design.
- Robust capture and review of design artefacts as appropriate for all stages in the engineering lifecycle appropriate for managing existing systems and for taking concepts through to production.
- Support the system integration and test activities.
- Support verification of the system requirements.
- Close collaboration with software, firmware and hardware teams to define efficient implementations and optimisations of the system design.
Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge Required
Qualified to degree standard in a relevant engineer
- A good understanding of radio communication principles.
- The post holder is expected to have general knowledge in the majority of the following areas and specialist knowledge in one or more:
- Systems Assurance.
- Requirements Management (DOORS).
- Acceptance Criteria.
- Corporate Requirements.
- Operational Concept.
- Use Case Requirement.
- Functional analysis and specification development.
- Process System Modelling.
- Technical Safety.
- Interface Management.
- Issues Management.
- Systems Acceptance.
- Extensive experience of the Systems Engineering lifecycle, from development and management of requirements.
- The ability to work with other Engineering disciplines and external suppliers/customers.
- Conducting, analysing and reporting of qualification testing to support design certification.
- An understanding of RF hardware, such as Receivers, Transmitters, Synthesisers and filters.
- An understanding of DSP, DDS and SDR principles would be desirable.
- Capable of driving the design process from specification through to production release and support.
- Experience of systems design including generation of Use Cases and UML models.
- Software and/or hardware design.