Field(s) of expertise
Electronics Engineering Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
About this job
A Project Engineering Lead (PEL) is required to support Electronic Warfare projects within the EW Electronics line of business, in particular working alongside the TEMPEST Team to deliver the UK/Fr FCAS programme. This lead role will be primarily focused on Engineering development activities, providing team management, technical direction and leadership in conjunction with the Chief Engineer. The PEL role will also be required to support business winning opportunities within the business group for related development projects and export customers.
The PEL will be responsible for the Engineering technical solution, schedule and budget and Engineering milestone adherence. The PEL will be working closely with the suppliers and internal stakeholders to agree the optimal technical solution and manage the Engineering deliverables.
The PEL will also be responsible for creating and owning the Engineering Management Plans and ensuring that the Engineering aspects of the projects are delivered in accordance with Company Life Cycle Management process, company and legislative standards and be responsible for the planning and managing the maturity design reviews.
To promote an IPT approach during Customer engagement and facilitate compliant cost, schedule and technical solutions by working effectively with all internal stakeholders including Capability management, the IPT lead, the EW Project Engineering Managers, the Engineering functions and Manufacturing and Supply chain.
Work with the EW IPT to deliver:
- Candidate concept solutions including the results of any de-risking studies.
- A design solution that maximises the re-use of existing ‘resources’, is producible, robust and works in its environment, i.e. is fit for purpose.
- Management of multi-disciplined Engineering teams, ensuring that roles within the teams are clearly defined.
- Establish and maintain good lines of communication across the Engineering IPT and upwards to the IPT lead.
- Management of the Engineering technical quality, schedule and budget.
- Identifying technical risks and mitigation strategies.
- Support the management of Suppliers and project Make or Buy decisions as required.
- Managing upward reporting and management of Customer expectations in line with agreed solution.
- Control project configuration and change management.
- Ensure that the design rationale is documented.
- Input to the Project Cost Review Board (PCRB) process for UPC management.
- Ensure effective implementation of the company’s Lifecycle Management, including Design & Gate Reviews and Processes, to agree qualification & acceptance criteria and design certification and to validate and meet targets for development of design maturity.
- Be responsible for all Engineering aspects of the monthly Project Performance Reviews.
- Ensuring compliance with Regulatory and Safety Standards.
- Work with Engineering Function management to ensure a capable and resourced team is deployed to execute the work packages.
- Please note that in order to apply for this opportunity you must be eligible for UK Security Clearance. Normally this is to the level of Security Check (typically known as “SC”) for our business.
- Good problem solving ability.
- Good schedule and budget control.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders (Internal & External).
- Strong leadership competency but also can demonstrate team working skills.
- Knowledge of Engineering Lifecycle and business processes.
- Good MS Project skills.
- Commercially aware.
- Use of enterprise resource planning systems (for example SAP).
- Experience of technical analysis of RF communication system performance including link budget
- Degree qualified (or equivalent) in an Engineering or related subject.
- Experience in the development of military &/or commercial communication systems throughout the product life-cycle