Field(s) of expertise
Business Administration and Finance
About this job
Roke imagines a more secure world. A world where technology protects, rather than exposes. A world where expert engineers, consultants, and business support staff collaborate to protect what matters most to our clients.
Our Defence business aims to give our soldiers a technological advantage on the battlefield, whether that be through unmanned systems, or new sensor technology to aid ground forces, we are constantly developing new ways for our clients to utilise technology to protect what matters most.
We are seeking a highly motivated and knowledgeable professional to join as Head of Strategic Programmes for our Defence Business Unit, based mainly at our Romsey facility. This role demands a variety of experience from the holder but for the right person, it has plenty on offer.
What will your role look like?
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Fully accountable for the delivery and profitability of the Strategic Programmes Portfolio within the Defence Business Unit reporting directly to the Defence Business Unit Director.
- Management, oversight and direction of Delivery Teams across the Strategic Programmes Portfolio providing internal and external escalation route.
- A proven ability to build strong and enduring relationships with internal and external client stakeholders including key prime partners.
- Look for opportunities across the Defence space to increase planned profitability, revenue and maximise staff utilisation with key targets for cost reduction/profitability across the portfolio.
- To ensure Strategic Programmes, projects and services deliver to the planned time, cost and quality constraints set by the wider business.
- To ensure financial forecasting is accurate by challenging inconsistencies and maximising opportunities .
- SRO/Chair of Strategic Portfolio Delivery reviews.
- Support Account Managers, Project Managers and individual staff members in achieving their objectives, leading a Team of PPM professionals ensuring all performance reporting and development training is completed.
What do we expect from you?
Key Characteristics cont. – Delivery
- Have an extensive background in successfully delivering large, technically challenging programmes/projects including hardware, software, products and services.
- Familiar with Research, Engineering, Consultancy and Product delivery models and associated quality assurance & controls.
- Be able to quickly identify and deep-dive into all non-performing or at-risk projects, facilitating corrective action planning and/or damage limitation activities.
- Must be able to actively line-manage up to 5 Senior Project Managers effectively, coaching and developing best-practice and behaviours; must be able to performance-manage effectively where required.
- Ideally have a background in the Defence Technology Domain.
Key Characteristics – Business Management
- Must be able to work collaboratively and effectively with a BU Programme Management function, helping influence/maintain/secure strategic contracts.
- Must be able to provide high-levels of assurance against monthly financial reporting accuracy across 200+ projects both for hours-based projects, and product contracts.
- Must maintain an accurate and representative Portfolio Delivery Risk Register, actively managing and mitigating risks, and reporting/escalating to the BU Director when necessary.
What can we offer you?This position offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including bonus scheme, private medical insurance and pension, along with a whole host of flexible benefits to include flexi-time, travel insurance and dental care.
Due to the nature of this position, candidates must be willing to undergo, and be eligible to achieve HMG security clearance (prior to appointment). As a result, candidates should ideally be a British Citizen. However, you can hold another nationality and have resided in the UK for the last 5 years. We will provide assistance transferring your clearance, as well as, pay a high-level clearance bonus.
We are committed to a policy of Equal Opportunity, Diversity, and Inclusion. Our working environment is friendly, creative and inclusive. We can accommodate flexible working arrangements, and support a diverse work force and those with additional needs.