Field(s) of expertise
About this job
General Dynamics Land Systems is a global leader in providing products and support across the full spectrum of combat vehicles. Our global team has more than 6,000 employees working towards creating a diverse product portfolio delivering best-in-class capability to Armed Forces communities worldwide. In the UK, we employee more than 650 people and are leading the way in Armoured Fighting Vehicles and sustainment services. Our vision is documented and embedded into our culture, so all employees understand the Company’s direction and their role in achieving it. We are currently delivering the AJAX programme, providing 589 Armoured Fighting Vehicles in six variants to the British Army and have also developed and delivered 400 Foxhound vehicles – a highly-protected and mobile 4×4 platform with high-deployment availability.
It is the purpose of the maintenance Electrician to provide first line maintenance and respond to all breakdowns within the fastest possible time and to rectify the fault within current health and safety, environmental and legislative requirements in the most cost effective way with the minimum amount of disruption to production. To Maintain and install electrical and mechanical equipment ensuring all works are within current legislative requirements. Provide support to manufacturing team to ensure plant uptime is utilised with minimum downtime.
- To carry out testing and inspection and rectifications works.
- To assemble, install, test, certify and maintain electrical or electronic wiring, equipment, appliances, apparatus and fixtures.
- Undertake both mechanical and electrical fault finding, diagnostic and preventative maintenance on machines and equipment.
- To plan and carry out small projects.
- To install and maintain three phase and single phase control gear for motors, pumps and fans.
- To inspect electrical systems, equipment and components to identify hazards, defects and the need for adjustment or repair and to ensure compliance.
- To carry out Portable Appliance Testing (PAT).
- To repair or replace wiring, equipment and fixtures using hand tools and power tools to include minor building work and making good.
- To diagnose malfunctioning systems, apparatus and components using test equipment and hand tools to locate the cause of a breakdown and correct the problem.
- To monitor, adjust and identify faults as required.
- Provide support to mechanical technician.
- Ensuring machines and equipment on site are safe, working efficiently and fit for purpose.
- Provide hands-on and technical assistance where necessary to ensure targets are met.
- Reporting of faults, recording work, parts used and parts required.
- Permit to Work, Risk Assessments, and PPE.
- Maintain housekeeping standards throughout work area.
- Provide 24/7call out as part of a rota and be prepared to work overtime and respond to call outs as required for both sites (Merthyr and Oakdale 2).
- Complete Planned Preventative Maintenance, ensuring KPI’s are met in line with production requirements.
- Respond to the requests of the operations by carrying out tasks associated with breakdowns.
- Provide effective feed back to senior electrician and Maintenance Manager, to ensure that Managers are aware of any Facilities/System/Equipment/Site Engineering abnormalities.
- Perform any reasonable task as required by their Manager.
- Follow required emergency procedures as documented and respond accordingly during emergency situations.
- Report all accidents, occupational illnesses and emergencies.
- To take responsibility for defects and follow up on any repairs.
- To undertake such additional duties as might reasonably be requested by the company. To include but not restricted to: Production cover, snow clearance and gritting, litter picking, cleaning, security, First Aid and Fire Warden Duties.
- Travel between sites as and when required. (Merthyr & Oakdale 2)
Essential Qualifications and Experience:
- City and Guilds electrical qualification 17th Edition. 2394/2395 or equivalent
- Recognised indentured apprenticeship
- Experience post apprenticeship preferred
- Experience in carrying out testing and inspection, reactive maintenance, planned maintenance and installation
- Knowledge of plant control
- Able to work at height + 15mtrs.
Essential Technical Skills:
- Computer Literate
- PLC fault finding – Preferably Siemens S7
- Knowledge of paint spraying equipment and process.
- OHC Licence
- MEWP Licence
- FLT Licence
- Clean full driving licence
- Be proactive and self-motivated and seek out work
- Ability to work as part of a team or unsupervised