Field(s) of expertise
Business Administration and Finance Project and Service Management
About this job
Description of Program:
General Dynamics Land Systems is a global leader in providing products and support across the full spectrum of combat vehicles. Our global team has more than 6,000 employees working towards creating a diverse product portfolio delivering best-in-class capability to Armed Forces communities worldwide. In the UK, we employee more than 650 people and are leading the way in Armoured Fighting Vehicles and sustainment services. Our vision is documented and embedded into our culture, so all employees understand the Company’s direction and their role in achieving it. We are currently delivering the AJAX programme, providing 589 Armoured Fighting Vehicles in six variants to the British Army and have also developed and delivered 400 Foxhound vehicles – a highly-protected and mobile 4×4 platform with high-deployment availability.
Purpose of Position:
This role is the programme lead for training in the AJAX programme.The role holder will manage all aspects of the Training programme including; Project schedule, overseeing schedule risk, Project costs, earned value status, and execution of the Project.
- Develop, manage and analyse schedules to enable successful execution assigned projects.
- Pro-actively manage and report on project risk, making changes for cost effective risk reduction.
- Establish and maintain Earned Value Management and reporting for assigned project.
- Provide management reports (status, analysis, recommendations) on the project cost accounts.
- Interact with engineers, supporting individuals, team leaders, Suppliers and Management to report progress, risks and issues on projects.
- Ensure assigned areas of the project are delivered within cost and schedule constraints at appropriate level of performance and quality.
- Monitor and control expenditure of budget within assigned control account, identify efficiencies and savings within the plan.
- Report project status at daily, weekly and monthly meetings.
- Provide additional support to the Senior Programme Manager as required.
- Demonstrable practical understanding and experience of project lifecycles and project delivery
- Experience of project management in a product development environment
- Customer facing project management involving design, acceptance and delivery phases
- Understanding and experience using Earned Value Management for project control
- Understanding of Risk Management practices
- Understanding and experience of WBS definition and maintenance
- Experience of project management in a strong matrix organization
- Military tracked vehicles development experience
- Finance and budgeting experience
- Ability to clearly identify key issues and articulate project status
- Be proactive and responsive in a dynamic work environment
- Organisational skills
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- University degree or equivalent and demonstrable experience in Engineering or Programme Management
- Demonstrable experience relevant to the knowledge and skills defined above
- Five or more years as lead on a technology development programme may substitute for education requirement
- Experience in the training design and delivery aspects of programmes
- APMP or PMI certification desirable