Field(s) of expertise
Project and Service Management
About this job
Crucially, as part of the Innovation Team, the Heads of Profession take a strategic and pan-business approach, ensuring that all investments, whether in skills or technologies, deliver long-term benefit to the company as a whole.
- Leadership. To be a champion and expert for a specific selection of skills, areas of expertise and technical capabilities.
- Innovation Investment. To direct investment in innovation and offerings at a tactical and strategic level, that are relevant to the profession and aligned to business objectives.
- Workforce Planning. To provide guidance and insights to resourcing, Heads of Engineering and Line Managers on capacity and workforce planning.
- Career Planning. To provide leadership in the development of skills career pathways and training for staff in the profession.
- Technical Leadership. To be a leading expert, evangelist and thought-leader, representing the selected profession and its capabilities.
- Knowledge Management. To champion the development and sharing of technical knowledge, including succession and mentoring.
- Processes & Policies. To create and maintain Roke standards and processes relevant to the profession.
- Intellectual Property. To identify, protect and curate intellectual property created or used by the business.
- Outreach. To engage with customers, academia, trade bodies and other 3rd parties to promote Roke and to capture insight and opportunities.
- Alignment. To perform the role to create and promote cross-business alignment and engagement.
Outputs & Outcomes:
- Output: Profession Strategic Plan, to deliver the capabilities, skills and expertise to meet Roke’s strategic business plan.
- Output: Roke standards and policies related to the profession.
- Output: Career pathways plan for the profession.
- Outcome: Innovation work and offerings that are supervised, disseminated and aligned to Roke strategic plan.
- Outcome: Content used for outreach and marketing that reflects Roke’s strengths and capabilities.
- Outcome: A strong network of people across Roke engaged in innovation and capability building.
- Outcome: A strong network of external 3rd parties that Roke leverages to deliver business.
- Outcome: Demonstrable excellence in knowledge management within Roke.
Specifics of Profession:
Project Delivery – covering Programme, Portfolio, Project Management, and Project Administration.
General Experience Required:
The Head of Profession should be able to evidence expertise in many of the underlying principles of Project Management:
- Cost Control, Forecasting, Milestone Tracking, Billing & Cash-flow Management
- Requirement Management & Management of Change Control
- Schedule & Earned Value Management
- Application of Agile, Kanban, and Structured Methodologies
- Contract Management
- Quality Planning & Management
- Risk, Issue, and Opportunity Management
- Resource Management, Balancing, and Profiling
- Procurement & Subcontract Management
- Customer Relationship Management
- Programme & Portfolio Management
- Team Forming & day-to-day People Management
- Stakeholder Management & Communication
- Conflict management
- Ethics, Compliance & Standards
Specific Experience Required:
The Head of Profession must be able to evidence:
- Hands-on Project Management experience on many large and small-scale, technically challenging projects:
- successfully delivered to time/cost/quality
- successfully recovered when time/cost/quality have been at risk
- First-hand experience of planning-for, executing, and genuinely transforming the skills, capabilities, tools, processes and overall effectiveness of a Project Delivery Community within an organisation.
Nature of the role:
Time is expected to be split 50/50 between leading the Profession, and actively practicing Project Management. The driving principle is that the Head of Profession must continuously develop their skills and experience.
We are committed to a policy of Equal Opportunity, Diversity and Inclusion. Our working environment is friendly, creative and inclusive. We can accommodate flexible working arrangements, and support a diverse work-force and those with additional needs.