Field(s) of expertise
Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
About this job
A Mechanical Design Engineer is required for a full-time position to work for one of the UK’s most innovative young companies, Clyde Space* a world leader in small satellites. The company is looking to expand its engineering team to meet rapidly growing customer demand for our products as this exciting market expands.
We are looking to recruit a Mechanical Design Engineer who can work within our Structures and Mechanisms team, to deliver designs of spacecraft subsystems and platforms.
Responsibilities will include:
- Design of mechanical components such as spacecraft structures and deployable systems.
- Design of solar panels, including electrical architecture.
- Structural and thermal analysis of subsystems and platforms.
- Producing manufacturing drawings for suppliers and manufacturing instructions for in-house assembly.
- Interaction with supply chain to source components at appropriate cost, timescale and quality.
- Support to manufacturing, integration and test.
- BEng(Hons) or higher degree in Mechanical Engineering or related subject, or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years industrial experience.
- Experience in using CAD systems, preferably SolidWorks.
- Solid understanding of structural and thermal design and analysis principles, and practical experience of performing such analysis.
- Excellent technical writing, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Able to manage time, work within a team and work autonomously when required.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and progress several projects in parallel.
- Ability to work flexibly and apply oneself to problems outside of core competencies as required by a small, fast-growing organisation.
- Experience in spacecraft engineering.
- Electrical engineering qualifications and/or experience.
- Understanding of PCB design and manufacturing processes.
- Fluent in a second language would be an advantage.
- Experience of working in the space/aerospace/defence industries.
- Practical skills in fabricating and modifying mechanical parts (hand tools, mill, lathe).
- Working knowledge of ECSS standards and experience of ESA processes.
- Vibration and/or shock testing experience.
Clyde Space has a legal responsibility to ensure that all its employees have the legal right to live and work in the UK. Therefore, if you are made an offer of employment, this will be subject to Clyde Space verifying that you are eligible to work in the UK before you start work.
Please note that if you have not heard anything from us within 2 weeks of applying, your application has on this occasion been unsuccessful.