Field(s) of expertise
About this job
The Space Talent Acquisition Team of Serco is working with many exciting new ventures around the world involved with innovative New Space and Remote Sensing technologies surrounding earth observation.
On behalf of our client, we are looking for a Satellite Data Platform Architect. You will be first-handily combating climate change by working with our client who provides a satellite-based methane monitoring service. This service allows worldwide regulators and emitters to assess and reduce their emissions.
Your mission as a Satellite Data Platform Architect will place you in charge of the development of their data & analytics solutions and manage the Data & Analytics Team.
This team is expected to grow rapidly over the coming year as they build up their capacity to serve an ever-expanding pool of clients, refine our data processing chain, and build their web platform and API to act as a new route for the dissemination and sale of their methane data products. This is a unique opportunity to recruit your own team of GIS experts, Data Scientists, Frontend and Backend developers to operationalize the data processing chain, develop a new client-facing platform, and evolve the current pipeline so it can deliver high quality methane data products at a global scale.
- Responsible for all Data & Analytics technology developments
- Expanding the existing prototype data processing chain into an operational infrastructure, defining the infrastructure architecture required to handle petabytes of data, and leading development efforts of the customer-facing Data Platform and Mission Planning Centre
- Lead the design, development, and deployment of the company’s data & analytics solutions, and work hand-in-hand with the Chief Space Systems Engineer to ensure the optimal acquisition and delivery of satellite data to our government and commercial customers.
- Oversee the transition of their prototype data processing chain into a fully operational one, manage simulation & modelling efforts to constantly improve its quality, and provide leadership for the data science & software engineering team.
- Definite the architecture of the satellite data platform with the goal of offering the customers a smooth experience to request, transform, analyse, and download the methane satellite data, as well as allowing on-demand satellite tasking, near-real time emissions alert, and tailored analytics.
- Develop and deliver a fully operational data user segment by developing a deep understanding of the user journeys, identifying potential pain points, and transforming those insights into actionable design solutions.
- Lead the data platform user segment development through all phases – from pilot to public release
- Own the design process by independently defining requirements, scoping projects and prioritizing tasks
- Provide technical leadership for the customer facing GIS and software system delivery team
- Design and implement core methane emissions services, review architectural designs and enforce high code quality
- Build and champion a long-term tech roadmap to reduce operational burden, ensure scalability, and reduce risk
- Design, develop and document external and internal data services to implement scalable performant solutions for rapid data delivery with a focus on usability, consistency, and stability
- Work closely with the space system team to review technical roadmaps and coordinate overall programme implementation
- Provide insightful feedback during design sessions and to guide your team and catch issues before release
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Data Science or equivalent
- 10+ years’ experience in a technical leadership role, with a strong background in satellite imagery and data science
- Experience with Earth Observation data processing chains
- Experience building cloud-based, customer-facing platforms
- Experience building and hosting APIs
- Experience managing significant spending on cloud platform provides, including making decisions based on cost, speed and stability
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience writing job descriptions and running the hiring process for technical roles, and building new hires into an effective team
- Good team player, effective at interacting with other parts of the business
- Experience speaking to clients to understand customer needs
- Ability to think big, developing a thought-through vision of a technical solution, and deliver
- Interest in climate change and the role of technology in reducing man-made greenhouse gas emissions
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic environment with changing needs and requirements
- Fluent in French and English