Field(s) of expertise
Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering Aerospace Engineering
About this job
As Space Structure Engineer, you will follow the full design of space structures, assemblies, and components, from scratches to final executives. You will take care of CAD design of all parts related to typical spacecraft missions, including primary structures, secondary structures for electronics and appendages, mechanism and related components, MGSE tools and AIV jigs. Your job will also entail structural analysis against spacecraft environmental loads, thermal analysis of mechanical assemblies and kinematics analysis of mechanism, and manufacturability assessment of parts and assembly, including high-precision assembly (1/10 mm or lower), thermal treatments, surface treatments and other special processes related to both traditional aerospace and innovative metal Additive Manufacturing (AM) sectors. You will also be required to follow the development of executive drawings to interface with external suppliers, coordinate with designers and developers of all areas of the engineering and manufacturing teams during the design of complex parts, and develop and manage technical documentation related to parts and assemblies, including bill of material and work-cycles. Finally, you will provide technical support to the engineering, procurement and manufacturing teams during procurement, manufacturing and verification activities.
- Conceptual design of parts and assembly starting from system requirements;
- Technical trade-off between architectures to identify best candidates according to high-level criteria, such as mass optimization and stiffness;
- Detailed design including components selection, mechanical tolerances, manufacturing assessment, and assembly integration procedure;
- Analytical and/or FEM structural verification of space structures against operational loads and launch loads, including quasi-static loads, sinusoidal vibrations, random vibrations, and shock;
- Bolted junction’s structural verification and margin of safety calculation;
- Kinematics analysis of mechanism and verification of actuation/non-actuation margins;
- Interface with system engineering area and iteration of design activities to achieve requirements;
- Develop and management of the complete documentation related to the part/assembly, including executive drawings, bill-of-material, work-cycle, technical specifications for special processes, etc.;
- Technical interface to the quality and procurement teams towards external suppliers, including in-situ inspection at the supplier premise;
- Support to the engineering and manufacturing teams during prototyping and integration activities, including physical presence during assembly and testing phase;
- Develop Technical Reports at program milestones.
- Knowledge of Structural Mechanics and Structural Analysis;
- Experience in conceptual and CAD design activities; PTC CREO knowledge is a plus;
- Experience in analytical and FEM structural verification activities; MSC package knowledge is a plus;
- Experience in aerospace manufacturing standard and processes; knowledge of metal AM processes is a plus;
- Experience in product documentation management of parts and assembly;
- Knowledge of space structure design, analysis and test philosophy as per applicable standards (ECSS, NTSS, etc.);
- Three-to-five years of working experience in relevant fields;
- Analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Proactive attitude and ability to work in a team;
- Willingness to learn.
- Advanced University degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) preferably in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering;
- Full professional proficiency in the English language is mandatory.