Field(s) of expertise
About this job
Open Cosmos is revolutionising the way space technology is used and is at the forefront of the emerging new space industry. Our mission is to make space accessible to anyone, to help solve the world’s biggest challenges. We do this by providing simple and affordable space missions, using nanosatellite technology, providing end to end space missions for customers around the world (private and institutional). We work with some of the biggest names in the industry, including the European Space Agency (ESA), but also with small and innovative high-tech companies, together developing the space technology and applications of the future.
Based at one of the world’s leading space campuses in Harwell, Oxfordshire, we are a young and ambitious team with the drive to define a greater future for this planet and the people living on it; therefore, when our minds come together to fulfill our mission to democratise the space we are happy to be part of something that is more than the best of each of ourselves.
You will be joining Open Cosmos’ satellite development team in Harwell-Oxford (UK) and will be responsible to lead and manage the implementation of embedded software in microprocessors that form key elements of our spacecraft avionics. You will have the opportunity to be involved in the whole cycle of a mission from concept, to tests, V&V, to orbital operations support and telemetry analysis.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Design and implement software of embedded devices and systems.
- Assist electronics design validation and qualification.
- Collaborate with different technical teams to deliver a consistent technical solution.
- Have input into requirements and verification plans.
- Embrace challenge and work outside of the comfort zone.
- Commit to fulfill customer requirements and expectations.
Skills, attitude and experience
- Experience in Embedded C or C++
- Experience with microcontrollers and peripheral components
- Proven experience in embedded systems design with preemptive, multitasking real-time operating systems
- Familiar with electronics
- Familiar with scripting languages
- Quick to learn
- Attention to detail
- Honesty, openness and self awareness
Nice to have
- Experience in DSP algorithm modeling and development in Matlab/Simulink/Python
- Experience with major FPGA families (Xilinx, Altera, Microsemi)
- Knowledge of CCSDS Command and Telemetry Data Processing
- Familiar with design, verification and validation of PCB schematics and layout
- Familiar Power systems, high speed digital circuit design and simulation
- Experience with ARM processors and Flash FPGAs
- Experience in RF
- Knowledge of statistical data analysis
- Knowledge of and experience with Vivado/Libero IDE software
- Familiar with Altium Designer
- Familiarity with Java /C#
You will enjoy
- Working with a team of people to build the future of a new space industry
- Working at one of the world’s leading space campuses
- 25 days holidays + 8 bank holidays
- Attractive Pension Scheme & Immediate enrolment
- Healthy snacks and pick’n’mix sweets at the office
- Social clubs organised by the team – so far we’ve got Run Club, Paella Club, ice-skating Club and Thirsty Club – suggest something new?
- Remote working as per company policy
- Working from home as per company policy
- Annual Salary Review