Field(s) of expertise
Space Systems Engineering Aerospace Engineering
About this job
Open Cosmos is revolutionising the way space technology is used and is at the forefront of the emerging new space industry. Our mission is to make space accessible to anyone, to help solve the world’s biggest challenges. We do this by providing simple and affordable space missions, using nanosatellite technology, providing end to end space missions for customers around the world (private and institutional). We work with some of the biggest names in the industry, including the European Space Agency (ESA), but also with small and innovative high-tech companies, together developing the space technology and applications of the future.
Based at one of the world’s leading space campuses in Harwell, Oxfordshire, we are a young and ambitious team with the drive to define a greater future for this planet and the people living on it; therefore, when our minds come together to fulfill our mission to democratise the space we are happy to be part of something that is more than the best of each of ourselves.
You will be joining Open Cosmos’ systems team in Harwell-Oxford (UK) and will be responsible to lead and manage the analysis and engineering aspects of Open Cosmos space missions. The candidate is expected to be involved in the whole cycle of a mission from concept, to tests, V&V, to orbital operations support and telemetry analysis.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Coordinate different technical teams to deliver a consistent technical solution.
- Have input into requirements and verification plans.
- Perform analysis and required tests at system and subsystem level.
- Propose improvements to increase the performance of Open Cosmos satellites.
- Define key orbital operational parameters and analyse their data.
- Support bid work, sales team, mission and operations teams, customer support or any other teams within the company with technical information and documentation related to engineering.
- Maintain systems level documentation.
- Work independently and under pressure.
- Embrace challenge and work outside of the comfort zone.
- Commit to fulfill customer requirements and expectations.
- Take initiative and work in a self-driven manner.
Skills, attitude and experience
- Proven experience in satellite engineering. To have seen full cycle of a space mission, from conception to end of life
- Have seen full life cycle missions
- Have experience with Maya, ESATAN or similar
- Have experience in leading and executing balance tests
- Have good knowledge of the subsystems involved in a satellite: power system, on board computer, AOCS, comms, propulsion, mechanical
- Have good knowledge of AIT processes
- Attention to detail
- Honesty, openness and self aware
- Quick to learn and coach others
Nice to have
- Experience in project management
- Experience in systems engineering
- Experience managing communication with suppliers
- Technical experience in specific subsystems
- Hands on experience on AIT
- Experience in QA/PA
- Systems experience in ESA missions
You will enjoy
- Working with a team of people to build the future of a new space industry
- Working at one of the world’s leading space campuses
- 25 days holidays + 8 bank holidays
- Attractive Pension Scheme & Immediate enrolment
- Healthy snacks and pick’n’mix sweets at the office
- Social clubs organised by the team – so far we’ve got Run Club, Paella Club, ice-skating Club and Thirsty Club – suggest something new?
- Remote working as per company policy
- Working from home as per company policy
- Annual Salary Review