Field(s) of expertise
Telecommunications Engineering Procurement and Legal
About this job
At Boeing, we are all innovators on a mission to connect, protect, explore and inspire. From the seabed to outer space, you’ll learn and grow, contributing to work that shapes the world. Find your future with us.
The Boeing Company is seeking a Senior Communications and Network Systems Engineer to join a project team assisting with the development of complex, state-of-the-art systems for space-based applications for government customers. You will be a member of a high performance systems engineering team interacting with customers, suppliers, program management, integration and test engineers and senior technologists.
You will participate in all phases of the system development life cycle, including architecture development, requirements definition, analysis and decomposition, software and hardware system design, algorithm design, risk management, integration, test, and operations . The successful candidate will be leading system level network design, development, verification, and operations activities.
- Design and develop next generation RF, digital, and/or optical satellite communications systems and payload architectures
- Subject Matter Expert (SME) in ground and space network architectures
- Collaborate with customers, suppliers, and internal multi-disciplinary teams.
- Perform system-level CONOPS development, functional analysis and decomposition
- Define and verify space communication system requirements and interfaces
- Lead trade studies and briefings.
- Perform analyses and simulations for space communication systems, including: link analysis, signal distortion, system capacity, reliability, and performance
- Develop analysis tools using MATLAB and object-oriented software platforms
- Develop and verify system algorithms that meet functional and performance requirements
- Lead verification, validation, integration and test planning and execution (including functional validation as well as formal requirements sell-off).
- Perform system test preparation, execution, troubleshooting, and verification
- Support technology development and insertion.
- Lead risk reduction activities and issue resolution.
- Perform hardware procurement, design reviews, and unit sell-off
- Mentor junior systems engineers and review their work for quality.
This position requires an active Top Secret Security Clearance. (A U.S. Security Clearance that has been active in the past 24 months is considered active).
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills/Experience):
- Bachelors’ Degree or higher is required
- Experience with digital communications
- Experience working on satellite or space based payloads
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience):
- 10+ years of network architectures in the Space Domain
- 10+ years of experience in standardized Network Protocols and Services (i.e. TCP/IP, VLAN, DNS, DHCP, Firewalls, etc.)
- 10+ years of experience in RF, digital, and/or optical communications
- 10+ years of experience in industry standard routing principles (RIP, OSPF, VPN, IPSEC, Static Routing, etc.)
- 5+ years of experience with Network Controls as implemented to satisfy RMF
- Experience with Model Based Engineering tools and languages such as Enterprise Architecture, Cameo, MagicDraw, and UML/SysML
- Experience with high frequency communication systems (C-band and higher)
- Modeling or design experience associated with Network Services and/or network control desired
- Experience Matlab/Simulink, Python, and/or C++
- Experience with the following: Waveform design, Digital signal processing (DSP)
- Successful completion of a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) by the federal government within the past 5 years
Typical Education & Experience:
Education/experience typically acquired through advanced technical education from an accredited course of study in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry (e.g. Bachelor) and typically 20 or more years’ related work experience or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience (e.g. PhD+15 years’ related work experience, Master+18 years’ related work experience). In the USA, ABET accreditation is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
This position offers relocation based on candidate eligibility. Basic relocation is available for internal candidates.