Field(s) of expertise
Cyber Security Software Engineering
About this job
Space Applications Services is a company at the forefront of space technology development and the provision of services for human spaceflight, exploration and earth observation missions. Headquartered in Belgium (Brussels Area), with a research office in the Netherlands and a subsidiary in the USA, the company provides solutions for both commercial and institutional customers. We work with clients such as the European Space Agency, the European Commission, governmental and national space agencies as well as the major space industries.
The company develops payloads, avionics, robotics technology and products, and provides complete mission operations control centre solutions to EN9100 standards. The company also provides engineering, science and training services, including astronaut training. In our headquarters, we have a control centre room that operates commercial payloads on the International Space Station, and a laboratory comprising a cleanroom.
The successful candidate will be based in our main office at Sint-Stevens-Woluwe (Brussels Area).
The position is in the Systems Department, Control and Data Centres (CDC) Team (comprised of 8 persons).
The candidate will mainly report to the CDC Team Lead.
The ICE Cubes control centre offers unique continuous access to experiments onboard the International Space Station (ISS). The security aspect of the service, especially in terms of cyber security, is of high priority.
Several characteristics increase the criticality of the service:
- The payloads on-board the ISS are considered as high-value targets
- The ISS is manned and crew safety shall not be jeopardised
- The investigators connect both to the ICMCC and their experiments on-board the ISS using Internet protocols, carrying the related cyber security risks.
The initial assignment is the management of the cyber security and maintenance of the ICE Cubes ground segment, as well as the participation in the definition and test of the new cyber security 7Shield framework.
As a security officer of the ICE Cubes Ground Mission Control Centre, the successful candidate will:
- Maintain the security management plan of the ICE Cubes ground segment and ensure its implementation
- Support yearly security audit of the European Space Agency
- Support the ICE Cubes ground segment daily operations and maintenance
- Support the design and implementation of new Space Applications Services ground segments
- Lead the uses cases and requirements definition of the new cyber security framework (7Shield)
- Participate to field tests of the 7Shield framework.
Skills and Experience
- A Master’s degree in computer science (or relevant) with at least 5 years of hands-on experience
- Excellent knowledge of Linux systems as a user and administrator
- Hands-on experience in IT security systems such as:
- Network security (IP networks, Firewalls, iptables, routing, VPN)
- PKI, Encryption, KMS
- LDAP, Radius, OpenVPN
- Excellent scripting skills (bash, python)
- Experience with/knowledge of the following will be considered as an asset:
- Industry-recognised qualifications, e.g. CEH, CISM, CompTIA Security+, CISSP, GSEC
- FullStack Development, Python, Django, Java, software development lifecycle
- Strength to cope with schedules and deadlines
- Good written and spoken English.
What Do We Offer
- Working within a growing company with Staff located in Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands
- A professional working environment with motivated Engineers and Scientists coming from all different horizons and countries with a common passion for space
- A full-time position with an indefinite contract of employment
- A competitive remuneration package and good working conditions
- An individualised training and development programmes.
How To Apply
Send your CV and Motivation Letter (both in English) via our website (www.spaceapplications.com), to the attention of Ms. Laura Der-Boghossian.
Applications received through the “Careers” page of our website are reviewed in priority.
The candidate shall be eligible to work in the European Union or in possession of a European Blue Card for two or more years.
We are looking for someone to start as soon as possible.