Field(s) of expertise
Space Systems Engineering
About this job
Microwave Engineer in the Radio Frequency (RF) Equipment and Technology Section, Radio Frequency Payloads and Technology Division, Electrical Department, Directorate of Technology, Engineering and Quality.
The Section provides engineering support to ESA projects and carries out technological research (R&D) in the fields of ground and space-borne RF equipment and its building blocks, RF active and passive technologies, time and frequency generation and distribution, RF testing and instrumentation and related design and characterisation tools.
You will report to the Head of Section and, within the technical fields described above, your main tasks and responsibilities will include:
- contributing to the design, development and performance evaluation of RF equipment, subsystems, components and technologies applicable to space and ground segments;
- providing expert technical support and consultancy to ESA projects, programmes and general studies in the field of RF equipment and technologies, throughout all project phases;
- contributing to the definition of technology development roadmaps within the Agency’s technology programmes;
- defining technical requirements and Statements of Work for the tasks to be performed by industry, from early conceptual studies to full hardware development;
- initiating and managing R&D activities covering both long- and short-term needs;
- fostering new application areas for multidisciplinary activities, placing emphasis on innovative concepts, cutting-edge technologies and system architectures;
- end-to-end laboratory activities as required to support industry, ESA projects and programmes;
- monitoring applicable scientific and technological trends, liaising with universities and research institutes in order to maintain state-of-the-art engineering expertise in the Section’s technical domains;
- supervising students and trainees with respect to analysis, simulation and development of advanced concepts in the Section’s technical domains;
- contributing to the dissemination of the results of the activities performed and the transfer of knowledge across the Agency.
Duties may also include supporting other activities within your field of competence.
- General background and specific experience in the technical domains covered by the position
- Experience with the design, development and application of relevant tools and methods
- Understanding of related technologies, R&D trends and the industrial landscape
- Project support experience in a relevant domain
- Experience with laboratory or field testing of relevant technical equipment
- Experience in the preparation of procurement activities for technology development and innovation (statements of work, proposal evaluation, etc)
- Experience in the management and monitoring of industrial activities, including participation in reviews
- Customer Focus
- Innovation & Creativity
- Problem Solving
- Planning & Organisation
A Master’s degree in telecommunication, electronic or microwave engineering is required.
- A good knowledge of RF equipment and technologies in the field of space-borne RF receivers and their building blocks, such as frequency converters, LNAs, detectors, assemblies, etc., related design tools and field verification methods is required.
- Some years of professional experience in this domain will be considered an asset.