Field(s) of expertise
Business Administration and Finance Information Technology
About this job
Rocket Lab is the global leader in small satellite launch. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. There are endless possibilities for what we can achieve with better access to space, and that access is now a reality thanks to Rocket Lab. Our team is 500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly and we are action-oriented.
The Inventory & Logistics Manager at Rocket Lab USA leads a team responsible for managing the daily activities of Stores and Kitting, Logistics, and Material Planning. This leader will establish best practices and ensure KPIs are adhered to.
There are hundreds of components that are used to manufacture Electron’s Rutherford Engines that come from local suppliers and all over the world and this role leads a team that ensures that these components are planned strategically, stored correctly, inventory levels are accurate, cycle counting processes are implemented and adhered to and kits are delivered to production in a timely fashion. Additionally, this role is responsible for managing domestic and international logistics between Rocket Lab USA and other sites and suppliers, including the adherence to ITAR and other export regulations applicable. The Inventory & Logistics Mis also responsible for ensuring financial data relating to inventory is presented as and when requested and a close link with Finance and the ERP team is maintained.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Support other team members to achieve their full potential by continuously improving processes and templates
- Set up a suite of reports to track progress against agreed KPIs
- Provide reports to management as required
- Ensure systems are in place to manage team members’ workloads and ensure every role has got a back up to cover for leave or absences
- Create and execute career development plans for employees to elevate capabilities
Reporting and Data Integrity
- Ensure all inventory & logistics data is recorded and updated regularly, in line with requirements established by the wider supply chain team and Finance
- Reporting requirements established with the business are set up and are made available at the right time to an agreed audience
- Analyze deviations to the agreed plans, identifying root causes and actioning accordingly
- Establish and maintain master data to ensure materials are readily available to sustain production schedule
- Coordinate with New Zealand Supply Chain to plan supply of items that are distributed between sites
- Work with Engineering teams to execute configuration changes and manage obsolescence of inventory
- Establish and maintain good practice cycle counting
- Perform Stock Takes as and when required
- Ensure training is provided, standard operating procedures documented, and all team members trained on the use of the system and tools
- Ensure all kits are made available to production on the required date
- Manage daily, weekly and monthly workload scheduling of the kitting team
- Provide reporting and visibility to production and work with buying team to resolve any issues proactively
Shipping / Freight Forwarding / Goods handling
- Ensure all shipments make it to their final location in a timely manner
- Shipping managed by Rocket Lab USA is organized to ensure the best value option is chosen
- Relationships with freight forwarders and shipping lines are established and maintained
- Steer Material Planning team to set order policies that minimize financial risk
- Work with other members of the supply chain team and Finance to establish appropriate stock levels for all flight parts
- Good understanding of financial impact of decisions
- Support Supply Chain in being a trusted partner to the business by maintaining appropriate channels of communication with key stakeholders
- Be a first escalation point for production teams and other internal stakeholders
- Ensure information is communicated in a timely manner to relevant people
Required Experience & Education
- Minimum 5 years’ of inventory management & logistics experience within the manufacturing industry. Aerospace preferred, but not required.
- 4-year degree in Supply Chain Management, Operations, or other relevant major.
- Prior experience leading a team.
- Knowledge of international shipping regulations.
- Experience working within a fully integrated Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system.
- Operational knowledge of Infor LN Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system.
- Ability to leverage computer applications as required.
- Experience working on Windows operating systems and Microsoft Office.
- A can-do attitude, open to learning with good organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills and able to build working relationships
Preferred Experience & Skills
- Relevant experience and working knowledge of International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and/or Export Administration Regulations (EAR).
- Knowledge of freight forwarding and customs regulations.
- Cost center management experience.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.