Field(s) of expertise
Procurement and Legal
About this job
Rocket Lab is the global leader in small satellite launch. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. There are endless possibilities for what we can achieve with better access to space, and that access is now a reality thanks to Rocket Lab. Our team is 500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly and we are action-oriented.
Build and sustain a supply chain in which every purchased production item has a stable supply, from a reliable supplier, with exceptional quality and under agreed commercial terms. Guide engineering teams on proper sourcing strategy, support suppliers with new product introduction, and collaborate with quality teams to establish efficient and effective validation strategies for purchased flight hardware. Ensure suppliers are developed to grow with Rocket Lab and relationships are set up to identify any risks to the relationship.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Build methods and systems that allow for clear understanding of supplier capabilities, capacity, and core competencies.
- Responsible for developing sourcing strategies to eliminate or mitigate key risks in the US Supply Chain and liaise with Global Buying team on opportunities to support company growth targets.
- Monitor market trends, competitor strategies and market suppliers.
- Work with Global team on establishing best value sourcing option within our global network of suppliers.
Supplier Relationship Management
- Responsible for negotiating long term agreements with key suppliers as well as maintain buying related master data.
- Work with suppliers to understand their supply chain risks and develop strategies to mitigate risks and provide early warning.
- Establish a supplier relationship framework that enables transparent and open communication channels and ensures that a professional and consistent approach is taken in relation to all supplier relationships.
- Develop and implement obsolescence strategy.
- Dual sources developed for key strategic risks.
- Develop in depth understanding of Tier 2 and below supplier base and implement strategies to mitigate any risk identified.
- Develops and implements cost saving ideas with suppliers and initiates cost-savings/avoidance reports to provide visibility to management on total cost.
- Develops target costs for products to use as a negotiating tool.
- Balance both tactical executions with strategic initiatives necessary to drive cost reduction projects.
- Liaise with material planners, engineering and production to ensure components are ordered, manufactured and delivered to specification, on time and at the best price.
- Resolve quality, engineering and accounts payable issues concerning supplies in an expedient manner under the guidance of the relevant manager.
- Recover costs from suppliers for scrap, rework and costs incurred by company due to supplier discrepancies/returns.
Reporting and data integrity
- Ensure all purchase related data is recorded and updated regularly.
- Reporting requirements established with the business are adhered to.
- Process: Ability to identify improvement opportunities in the process and develop solutions.
- Domestic and international travel may be required.
- Additional duties as reasonably required.
- Ensure health and safety policies and standard operating procedures are followed.
- Correct PPE is worn in designated areas.
- Near misses and incidents are reported promptly.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
- 7+ years’ experience in a senior buying or sourcing position in a manufacturing environment.
- Good understanding of Aerospace or related industry.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings.
- Experience writing procurement and sourcing strategies and execute these.
- Experience in a systemized purchasing environment and be familiar with Material Requirement Planning (MRP), Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP).
- In-depth knowledge of procurement policies/procedures related to Federal Acquisition Regulations and Defence Acquisition Regulations (FAR/DAR).
- Proven track record of successful commercial negotiations.
- Knowledge of financial principles.
- A proactive and can-do attitude with the ability to keep calm in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent communication skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a team and to build effective working relationships with external and internal customers.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.