ESA is looking for a Radio Navigation System Engineer.
Radio Navigation System Engineer in the Radio Navigation Systems & Techniques Section, Radio Frequency Systems Division, Electrical Department, Directorate of Technology, Engineering and Quality.
The Section provides functional support to ESA projects and carries out technological research (R&D) in the field(s) of radio navigation systems, system performance tools, algorithms (signal and navigation), techniques and equipment for position-navigation-time (PNT) applications on ground and in space.
The Section also covers radio navigation techniques and technologies, elements and subsystems to generate, receive, exploit and analyse the signals from the current and upcoming radio navigation systems (GPS, GLONASS, EGNOS, Galileo, BEIDOU), including system design tools and navigation equipment. Emphasis is placed on the engineering aspects, GNSS system and sub-system evolution, design and low TRL for technological demonstrator prototyping and, in particular, navigation system design and tools, novel navigation techniques and equipment design/prototyping, on-board receivers and formation-flying RF metrology.
• Providing expert technical support and consultancy to ESA projects, programmes and general studies in the field of radio navigation systems and techniques (PNT, in particular GNSS) throughout all project phases;
• Participating in feasibility studies, project reviews and evaluation of procurement proposals;
• Identifying critical development problems and assisting in their resolution;
• Contributing to the definition of technology development requirements and work plans for the Agency’s Technology programmes;
• Defining, initiating and managing R&D activities covering long- and short-term needs;
• Fostering new application areas for multidisciplinary activities, placing emphasis on innovative concepts, cutting-edge technologies and system architectures;
• Laboratory activities as required;
• Monitoring applicable scientific and technological trends and maintaining state-of-the-art expertise;
• Contributing to the dissemination of the results of activities performed and the transfer of knowledge across the Agency.
• General background and specific experience in the technical domains covered by the position;
• Experience with the design, development and application of relevant tools and methods;
• Understanding of related technologies, R&D trends and the industrial landscape;
• Project support experience in a relevant domain;
• Experience with laboratory or field testing of relevant technical equipment;
• Experience in the preparation of procurement activities for technology development and innovation (statements of work, proposal evaluation, etc);
• Experience in the management and monitoring of industrial activities, including participation in reviews.
A Master’s degree in telecommunications engineering is required.
Solid expertise and several years’ professional experience in at least several of the following topics:
• Satellite radio navigation systems performance and design, including (but not limited to) those relating to GNSS;
• Algorithms and systems for high-accuracy GNSS relying on PPP and RTK techniques;
• Advanced signal processing techniques and user equipment architectures for robust, resilient, secure GNSS or wireless systems;
• Hybrid positioning techniques involving sensor fusion (Kalman filter, AI and machine learning, positioning with signal of opportunities)
Knowledge and work experience in space receivers and/or RF systems and techniques other than radio navigation (e.g. wireless communications, wireless security, scientific applications involving RF remote sensing and RF metrology) is considered an asset.
For a complete job description and to apply, click on “apply”.
If you require support with your application due to a disability, please email email@example.com.
Please note that applications are only considered from nationals of one of the following States: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Canada and Slovenia.
The European Space Agency (ESA) is an equal opportunities employer that offers competitive salaries exempt from national income tax and excellent employment conditions, such as allowances for expatriates and relocation support.
For more information: http://www.esa.int/About_Us/Careers_at_ESA
The European Space Agency (ESA) is Europe’s gateway to space. Its mission is to shape the development of Europe’s space capability and ensure that investment in space continues to deliver benefits to the citizens of Europe and the world. ESA is an international organisation with 22 Member States. By coordinating the financial and intellectual resources of its members, it can undertake programmes and activities far beyond the scope of any single European country.
Learn more: http://www.esa.int/