ESA is looking for a Space Resources Engineer.
This post is for a limited duration of 4 years non-renewable and is classified A2-A4 on the Coordinated Organisations’ salary scale.
Space Resources Engineer, in the Commercialisation & Innovation Team, E3P Programme Management Team, Directorate of Human & Robotic Exploration Programmes. The Innovation and Commercialisation Team leads the definition and coordinates the implementation of all HRE cross-sectoral innovation initiatives as outlined in the E3P Innovation Plan. This includes, in particular, delivery of the E3P Space Resources Plan, establishment of ISS and post-ISS Low-Earth Orbit platform-based commercial services and promotion of non-ESA funded demand for such services, as well as delivery of a comprehensive lunar communication and navigation service in coordination with D/TIA and D/NAV.
• Leading the monitoring of progress in delivering the ESA Space Resource Strategy, as well as regularly updating it, taking into account the evolving international and European context and stakeholder community inputs;
• Leading the definition and implementation of related ESA-funded ground-based research and supporting the establishment and operations of the European Innovation Centre for Space Resources;
• Implementing activities and assigned studies aimed at integrating space resources into future space exploration mission architectures and supporting the identification of related cooperation opportunities with European institutions and international partners;
• Analysing the space resources value chain and economic impacts as well as identifying opportunities for engaging new organisations in ground- and space-based research and development activities. This includes the identification and assessment of potential commercial applications derived from space resources related investments in research and development;
• Acting as secretary of the ESA Space Resources Steering Group;
• Establishing and managing partnerships with European and international organisations aimed at advancing the challenge-driven Space Resources Strategy;
• Leading the definition and implementation of stakeholder community building and engagement actions;
• Identifying knowledge gaps and critical technologies for extraction and mining of space resources and establishing and maintaining an overall technology maturation plan;
• Establishing and implementing a comprehensive approach to managing space resources related knowledge;
• Monitoring the international and European policy and legal framework for space resources and assessing implications for ESA activities.
• Ability and demonstrated experience in defining and successfully implementing innovation strategies;
• Multidisciplinary knowledge of area of responsibility;
• Knowledge of the relevant industrial ecosystem in Europe.
A Master’s degree in engineering, science, economic or business administration is required.
Candidates are further required to have extensive knowledge of:
• European and international space exploration programmes;
• In-depth knowledge of space resources related research and development;
• Proven track-record of successfully managing innovation projects and initiatives and establishing strategic partnerships.
For a complete job description and to apply, click on “apply”.
If you require support with your application due to a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that applications are only considered from nationals of one of the following States: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Canada, Latvia and Slovenia.
The European Space Agency (ESA) is an equal opportunities employer that offers competitive salaries exempt from national income tax and excellent employment conditions, such as allowances for expatriates and relocation support.
For more information: http://www.esa.int/About_Us/Careers_at_ESA
The European Space Agency (ESA) is Europe’s gateway to space. Its mission is to shape the development of Europe’s space capability and ensure that investment in space continues to deliver benefits to the citizens of Europe and the world. ESA is an international organisation with 22 Member States. By coordinating the financial and intellectual resources of its members, it can undertake programmes and activities far beyond the scope of any single European country.
Learn more: http://www.esa.int/