ESA is looking for an Head of Ariane 5 and Future Preparation.
As Head of Ariane 5 and Future Preparation, you will be responsible for the overall technical coherence of Ariane 5 launch system exploitation while managing the Future Space Transportation preparation unit, which will conduct strategy-driven system studies and establish related technology roadmaps, as well as prepare the future of space transportation development activities, namely through demonstrators.
• Implementing all activities related to fulfilling the Agency’s Ariane 5 exploitation mandate (except Industrial Quality Surveillance);
• Managing the technical and programmatic implementation of the Ariane 5 launcher complementary development and exploitation accompaniment activities (except MCO);
• Conducting negotiations and overseeing administration of the industrial contracts related to procurements under your responsibility;
• Defining the resources needed to implement Ariane 5 Classical exploitation accompaniment activities (other than MCO) and the Agency’s above-mentioned Ariane 5 exploitation activities, including the assistance to be provided to the project teams by support Directorates, public institutions in the participating States and other external support;
• Leading the implementation of FLPP Core Element, including related demonstrators for future Space Transportation Systems and Products;
• Leading the FLPP – Themis / Reusability Element;
• Implementing the FLPP – Prometheus Element until handover to development (post-MF Ariane 6) conducting system studies and drawing up technology roadmaps based on strategy-driven guidelines;
• Ensuring technical analysis of the use of existing technologies and capacities for a use-case beyond LEO and preparing a programme proposal related to space transportation building blocks in support of the European Space Exploration Programme;
• Supporting the assessment of the proper coherence of all technologies related to space transportation systems and products, including technology policy and harmonisation;
• Preparing new elements and follow-on activities for the Future Launchers Preparatory Programme (FLPP);
• Supporting the Director as a member of the Space Transportation Management Board (STMB), responsible for coherent preparation, planning, implementation, resource management and review of all ESA space transportation programmes and activities.
• Excellent overall understanding of the global and European space transportation sector in all dimensions;
• Experience in the management and development of launch systems and related technologies;
• Interaction with European space industry at the highest level, including contract negotiation;
• Project and technical management.
You should have a Master’s degree in a relevant discipline.
As a general requirement for any position at managerial level within ESA, you are expected to have:
• Proven experience of leading, motivating and developing a team;
• Ability to provide strategic direction to the individuals and teams within the Department and related team objectives to the overall and evolving organisational goals and context;
• Ability to drive performance and foster cooperation within and across teams throughout the organisation;
• Demonstrated excellent leadership, relationship management and communication skills, both oral and written;
• Proven track record in representing the Agency’s interests to external interfaces;
• Excellent cognitive, analytical, delegation, planning and organisational skills;
• Ability to anticipate problems, solve complex issues and relate situations to their context;
• Ability to reach solution-oriented, pragmatic and timely decisions of high standard and integrity as well as to support others (team members, upper management, other stakeholders) in this process.
Previous experience of managing managers and multiple teams, as well as experience outside of the candidate’s home country and in diverse functional areas relevant to the activities of ESA, is an asset.
For a complete job description and to apply, click on “apply”.
If you require support with your application due to a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that applications are only considered from nationals of one of the following States: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and Canada, Latvia and Slovenia.
The European Space Agency (ESA) is an equal opportunities employer that offers competitive salaries exempt from national income tax and excellent employment conditions, such as allowances for expatriates and relocation support.
For more information: http://www.esa.int/About_Us/Careers_at_ESA
The European Space Agency (ESA) is Europe’s gateway to space. Its mission is to shape the development of Europe’s space capability and ensure that investment in space continues to deliver benefits to the citizens of Europe and the world. ESA is an international organisation with 22 Member States. By coordinating the financial and intellectual resources of its members, it can undertake programmes and activities far beyond the scope of any single European country.
Learn more: http://www.esa.int/