Field(s) of expertise
Telecommunications Engineering Project and Service Management Space Systems Engineering
About this job
Open Cosmos are revolutionising space technology and opening up the cosmos to everyone. Our simple, affordable satellite missions give organisations the chance to use space technology as a tool to get your ideas into orbit. Our mission is to make the leaps in space that become the leaps on Earth.
Compiled of 50+ people from over 15 nationalities, we have a culturally diverse workforce full of Engineers, Software Developers, Business developers and Mission Managers! Beyond the office, we have bakers, long distance runners, climbers, rowers, golfers and mixed martial artists!
By making space data more accessible and affordable, we want to be the platform that allows applicable solutions to be the prevention, not the cure. When tragedy strikes, Earth Observation satellites can be used to detect where resources would be most effective and map out the scale of damage to help decision makers rebuild.
You will be joining Open Cosmos’ systems team in Harwell-Oxford (UK) and will be responsible to lead and manage the engineering design and verification aspects of Open Cosmos space missions. The candidate is expected to be involved in the whole cycle of a mission from concept, to tests, V&V, to orbital operations support and telemetry analysis.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Coordinate different technical teams to deliver a consistent technical solution.
- Manage requirements and plan verification activities.
- Perform analysis and required tests at system and subsystem level.
- Propose improvements to increase the performance of Open Cosmos satellites.
- Manage Space segment interfaces
- Define key orbital operational parameters and analyse their data.
- Support bid work, sales team, mission and operations teams, customer support or any other teams within the company with technical information and documentation related to engineering.
- Maintain systems level documentation.
- Mentor others within the systems engineering team
Skills, attitude and experience
- Proven experience in satellite systems engineering. To have seen the full cycle of a space mission, from conception to end of life.
- Proven experience in people management.
- Have experience implementing MBSE methodologies.
- Have experience in FMECA, FDIR and CONOPS.
- Experience in managing budgets eg. Power, mass, link, data & pointing
- Have good knowledge of the subsystems involved in a satellite: power, data handling, AOCS, comms & RF, propulsion, mechanical, thermal
- Have good knowledge of AIT processes.
- Have knowledge of orbital mechanics and analysis.
- Quick to learn and teach
Nice to have
- Experience in Earth Observation missions/systems
- Experience in project management
- Experience managing communication with suppliers external stakeholders
- Technical experience in the development of specific subsystems
- Hands on experience on AIT
- Experience in QA/PA
- Systems experience in ESA missions
- Familiarity with ECSS standards and handbooks