ESA is looking for a System Engineer.
You will report to the Beyond LEO Space Transportation Manager and be responsible for space transportation system and service-oriented studies with a view to future space transportation applications.
The responsibilities of the post include:
• assessing future space transportation services based on institutional user requirements;
• taking charge of internal studies within the Agency and the technical management of studies contracted with European industry;
• developing complementary in-house tools for space transportation mission analysis, in coordination with the Collective Launch Service Procurement Office and the Directorate of Technology, Engineering and Quality;
• defining system concepts that increase the versatility and competitiveness of European space transportation solutions;
• ensuring the matching of system concepts, in particular with European Human and Robotic Exploration needs (Directorate of Human and Robotic Exploration Programmes);
• contributing to system requirement flow-down to key enabling capabilities;
• defining industrial activities and establishing relevant statements of work;
• managing and participating in the evaluation of tender submissions and the negotiation and implementation of corresponding contracts, in collaboration with the Procurement Department and other relevant ESA departments;
• supporting Future Space Transportation Preparation (STS-F) technology and demonstration roadmaps in collaboration with technology and flagship demonstrator teams, with respect to system concept needs;
• supporting the diversification of space transportation stakeholders through spin-in/spin-off in order to strengthen the STS-F technology and demonstration roadmap;
• preparing and organising necessary reviews/key points.
You will be assisted as necessary by support staff, such as project control, contracts, legal and quality staff, and by engineers from the Directorate of Space Transportation and the Directorate of Technology, Engineering and Quality and from national agencies under the FLPP technical assistance scheme.
Extensive experience in orbital space transportation mission analysis
Master ASTOS, GMAT software and any additional programming language (Matlab, Python)
Knowledge of system engineering and PA standards
Knowledge of space transportation architecture and technologies
Knowledge of ESA and industrial development, verification and procurement processes
A PhD or Master’s degree in space transportation is required.
For a complete job description and to apply, click on “apply”.
The closing date for applications is 22 December 2020.
If you require support with your application due to a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that applications are only considered from nationals of one of the following States: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Canada, Latvia and Slovenia.
The European Space Agency (ESA) is an equal opportunities employer that offers competitive salaries exempt from national income tax and excellent employment conditions, such as allowances for expatriates and relocation support.
For more information: http://www.esa.int/About_Us/Careers_at_ESA
The European Space Agency (ESA) is Europe’s gateway to space. Its mission is to shape the development of Europe’s space capability and ensure that investment in space continues to deliver benefits to the citizens of Europe and the world. ESA is an international organisation with 22 Member States. By coordinating the financial and intellectual resources of its members, it can undertake programmes and activities far beyond the scope of any single European country.
Learn more: http://www.esa.int/