Field(s) of expertise
About this job
Why Rocket Lab
Rocket Lab is the global leader in small satellite launch. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. There are endless possibilities for what we can achieve with better access to space, and that access is now a reality thanks to Rocket Lab. Our team is 500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly and we are action-oriented.
While other companies talk about it, we do it!
Avionics Manufacturing Engineer
To support Avionics production by removing production blockers, dispositioning issue tickets, and performing root cause and corrective actions. To develop, implement, and continuously improve avionics processes through strong working knowledge of EEE piece parts, PCB, PCBA, electromechanical assembly, tooling, test, and quality techniques.
- Quickly analyze and resolve manufacturing discrepancies and non-conformances.
- When required, lead problem containment and root cause/corrective action investigations.
- Collaborate with the quality team to identify and drive quality-related initiatives and improvements.
- Perform structured root cause analysis of in-process failures.
- Liaison between production, quality, supply chain, and design engineering staff for complex problem solving and process changes.
Process and Tooling
- Develop production procedures and processes and ensure they are accurately and clearly documented to allow repeatable and reliable manufacturing.
- Work closely with responsible design engineers to provide solutions for reliability and quality of electromechanical assemblies and associated test fixtures.
- Develop and execute unique test methods for mission-critical and safety-critical avionics hardware (characterize and qualify circuits used in flight computers, power-electronics systems, and guidance, navigation, and control (GNC) systems).
- Provide engineering support for day-to-day production and quality processes.
- Perform training of production personnel and leadership on new and existing processes and procedures.
Design for Manufacturability
- Contribute and steer design reviews, acting as an expert in design for manufacture and test.
- Oversee introduction and implementation of new products and product revisions.
- Identify, plan and execute capital equipment, machine, and layout upgrades to meet production requirements, including preparation of business cases.
- Lead the continuous improvement process via Lean/Six Sigma tools and techniques.
- Develop, introduce, and maintain new planning, production, quality, ERP, data collection and analysis, and other processes where none exist.
- Domestic and international travel may be required.
- Additional duties as reasonably required.
- Be a role model for a safety-conscious culture.
- Ensure health and safety policies, PPE, standard operating procedures are followed.
- Ensure near misses and incidents are reported promptly and accurately.
Required Skills & Experience
- Technical Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, or equivalent.
- 2+ years of experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Ability to create and deliver accurate and concise presentations for design, manufacturing, and quality.
- Capable of solving complex problems with little to no supervision in a timely manner.
- Action Oriented Adaptable and comfortable in an exciting, dynamic, and evolving environment.
- Hands-on with a passion for continuous improvement and building the best hardware.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Experience transitioning products from design to production as a part of cross-functional team in a fast-paced, iterative design environment.
- Working experience with environmental acceptance/production acceptance testing, such as vibration, shock, thermal, and vacuum.
- Understanding of instrumentation, interfaces, and sensors including power supplies, oscilloscopes, serial devices, switch topologies, accelerometers, thermocouples, RTDs, and 4-20mA sensors.
- Knowledge of electronic circuits, design principles, and manufacturing techniques.
- Moderate proficiency with computer programming languages (Python, LabVIEW, C, C++, C#, SQL, etc.).
- Demonstrated experience with DFMEA, PFMEA methodologies, Fault Tree Analysis, Pareto analysis, root cause and corrective action.
- Working experience with capacity modeling, process mapping, Lean/Six Sigma, and value stream mapping.
- SPC knowledge and experience applying statistical methods to track process capability and performance.
To conform to US Government space technology export regulations, applicants must be a US citizen, lawful permanent resident of the US, protected individual as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorization from the US Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.