Field(s) of expertise
Software Engineering Information Technology
About this job
Space Applications Services is a company based in the Brussels area (BE) that provides products and services for the space sector in many areas from Avionics, Robotics, Human Exploration, Science and Earth Observation.
The Virtual Environments & Human Machine Interaction Team is responsible for the development of simulation environments and immersive interfaces to connect platforms, applications, devices, or robots with the real world. The Team is seeking top talent for joining, as an Intern, in our efforts to contribute to Europe’s objective of a sustainable return to the Moon, the management of satellite in-orbit servicing, or the training of future astronauts.
The successful Intern will be based in our main office at Sint-Stevens-Woluwe (Brussels Area).
The internship is available at the VEHMI Team (Technologies, Applications & Research Department).
The Intern will mainly report to the Robotics Software Engineer.
Duties for technical internships in the VEHMI Team typically include a selection of the following:
- Supporting the Team in the development of simulation environments based on Virtual, Augmented or Mixed Reality.
- Application of realistic 3D models, textures, rendering, lighting techniques or gamification algorithms.
- Validation of the simulation environments with robots, people, devices, or mechanisms.
Main Relevant Qualifications and Experience
- Enrolment in the third year (or higher) in one of the following field of Studies: Engineering, Science, Game Development, or similar university programs
- Hands-on experience (university/professional projects/DIY) in:
- Creating games or simulation environments (e.g. Unreal Engine, Unity 3D)
- Developing applications with VR, AR or MR Headsets (e.g. HTC Vive, Hololens, Valve Index, Others)
- Basic knowledge in robotics, kinematics, electronics, automation, and control
- Experience with programming languages (e.g. C/C++, C#, Blueprints).
Depending on the Thesis/Internship’s scope of work, a selection of the following is desirable:
- CAD design skills (e.g. Blender, Solidworks)
- Experience with haptic or force-feedback devices
- Experience creating or editing multimedia such as music, pictures, logos, or videos (e.g. Adobe Suite or others)
- Knowledge and experience with Computer Vision algorithms (e.g. OpenCV, MATLAB)
- Basic knowledge of space robotics and international spaceflight programmes.
The successful intern will have the following skills
- Strength to cope with schedules and deadlines
- Ability to:
- Adhere to strict standards of confidentiality
- Synthesise, summarise and draw conclusions
- Work in distributed international teams
- Excellent organisational and communication skills
- Excellent written and spoken English.
What Do We Offer?
- An experience in a growing company with Staff located in Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands
- Under certain conditions, a monthly lump sum allowance
- A professional, pleasant atmosphere with motivated and passionate Staff, where autonomy and initiatives are encouraged.
The successful candidate shall be eligible to do an internship in the European Union.
We are looking for someone to be available as soon as possible for a 6 months’ internship.