Field(s) of expertise
Aerospace Engineering Space Systems Engineering
About this job
For our customer, the European Space Agency (ESA), we are seeking an experienced Dependability & Safety (RAMS) to work at ESA’s ESTEC site in Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
You will be assigned to ESA/ESTEC’s Dependability & Safety Assurance Section within the Directorate of Technical and Quality Management (D/TEC). Reporting to the Head of the Dependability and Safety Section, you will be responsible for supporting the Section’s overall activities below:
- Contribute to establishing project specific programmatic and technical dependability and safety requirements within the framework of the ESA Product Assurance & Safety baseline.
- Support to ESA projects in the evaluation and monitoring of Contractor’s plans, technical specifications and efforts proposed for the execution of the dependability and safety programs.
- Evaluation of dependability and safety analyses, technical notes, technical risk assessments, risk reduction processes and the associated preventive or corrective actions.
- Defining and controlling the implementation of the applicable dependability and safety related acceptance requirements including risk acceptance criteria.
- Support dependability and safety verification activities, including hazard close-out and disposition of related NCR, RFW and Critical Items.
- Participating in project reviews to assess compliance with the applicable RAMS requirements and to formulate accept/reject recommendations.
Specifically, in this position, you will (initially) support the Navigation Directorate and especially the Galileo System Product Assurance Unit. Specific tasks and responsibilities include:
- Review of Galileo Project Segments RAMS analyses (i.e. Ground Segments and Space Segment);
- Production of Project System level RAMS analyses;
- Support the collection of in-service data and their statistical processing;
- Support the development of the System level RAMS tool;
This is a full-time position located at ESTEC, Noordwijk, The Netherlands. The requested start of work is March 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter.
The successful candidate shall have:
- A Master’s Degree in (Space) Systems Engineering or similar.
- A minimum of 4 years of relevant professional working experience gained in the (aero)space industry including experience in design and engineering of safety critical systems.
- Relevant experience of application of RAMS engineering to space programs, including in ground and/or ground based systems and operations.
- A hands-on knowledge of the RAMS analyses and methodologies (Hardware and Software), preparation of relevant RAMS documentation during the overall project life-cycle and application of space industry dependability and safety standards (ECSS).
- For this position, knowledge of the Navigation domain would be a distinct asset.
- Experience in dependability and safety engineering management processes and objectives and experience during operations is an advantage.
- Experience in the field of ground safety and projects assistance in obtaining the relevant launch centre safety certification is an advantage.
- Knowledge of RTCA/DO-178C “Software Considerations in Airborne Systems and Equipment Certification” and related certification schemes, and experience in interfacing certification authorities is considered an asset.
- Knowledge of EU Safety Directive as “Directive 98/37/EC Machinery”, Directive 99/92/EC Risk from Explosive Atmospheres”, “Directive 97/23/EC Pressure Equipment” and other safety directives relevant for space is considered an asset.
- Familiarity with space product assurance practices together with a good working knowledge of appropriate RAMS tools is an advantage.
What can Terma Offer? At Terma, we consider skilled employees, enthusiasm and job satisfaction as the very foundation of our success and as a prerequisite for the development of the “best-in-class” solutions that Terma provides. We lead the way in applying new technology, offering a wide range of growth opportunities for each individual and emphasizing mutual respect across the board in our workplace. Terma offers you a pleasant working environment at the customer site, where you will be able to take on challenging tasks and responsibilities in a highly professional company.
- Great opportunities for training and personal development
- Challenges in advanced technical environment
- International and cosmopolitan working atmosphere
- An employment contract with an attractive package with extra-legal benefits
- Highly competitive salary
- Support on re-location (if applicable)
Recruitment is depending on successful selection by the customer. Additional information To ensure that your application will reach us and is properly processed please apply through the following link: https://www.terma.com/careers/apply-to-open-positions/?hr=show-job%2F67345%26locale%3Den_US Include an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae and a Cover Letter highlighting your background and expertise as well as earliest date of availability. For further information, please contact Mr. Simon Mills by telephone [+31 6 2326 2398] or by email [firstname.lastname@example.org]. Closing date: February 10th 2021 Please note the following Legal & Security requirements:
- Applicants must hold all appropriate permits to work in the EU.
- Applicants are required to provide a copy of their ID/passport and degree/higher education certificate. Terma will validate the certificate with the issuing authority.
- In line with ESA security requirements, an official Certificate of Good Conduct (or equivalent) and employment reference checks will be required at commencement of employment. Please attach a copy of any reference letters with your application if you have them.
- Your name, contact details and application status
- Information included in your CV or cover letter, such as job history, academic background, skills and competencies, personal interests, languages spoken, and your photo
- Job preferences and type of employment sought
- Names and contact details for references