Field(s) of expertise
Aerospace Engineering Space Systems Engineering
About this job
For our customer, the European Space Agency (ESA), we are seeking an experienced Space Systems Engineer and/or R&D coordination specialist to work at ESA’s ESTEC site in Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
You will be assigned to the Technology Coordination & Planning Office within the Directorate of Technology, Engineering and Quality. The section fosters the coordination of research and development (R&D) activities among all actors of the European space sector with the aim to establish a strong technology base for future European space missions.
Under direct responsibility of the Head of Office you will contribute to the tasks of technology coordination and planning, which include:
- Piloting the Technology Harmonisation process at European level leading to roadmaps agreed by ESA Programmes, Technical Domain leaders, Member States and industry and monitoring the implementation;
- Providing a secretariat function for the Technology Harmonisation Advisory Group and Technology Advisory Working Group;
- Establishing the European Space Technology Master Plan;
- Maintaining a database of industrial capabilities consistent with harmonisation dossiers and roadmaps, and in coordination with ESA’s Directorate of Industry, Procurement, and Legal Services (D/IPL);
- Supporting industrial policies relating to technologies;
- Interfacing with the EU for technology related matters and coordinating the Agency support to EU technology programmes;
- Leading the coordination with the European Commission and European Defence Agency of critical space technologies for European non-dependence;
- Maintaining the end-to-end process for management of technology development within ESA, providing the secretariat function to different working groups, and evolving it as required to improve efficiency and use;
- Evaluating technology development results at aggregate Agency level.
This is a full-time position located at ESTEC, Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
The requested start of work is March 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter.
The successful candidate shall have:
- A Master’s degree in an Engineering discipline (preferably space related) or similar technology related discipline.
- A background, with at least 4 years working experience, in a range of technologies relevant to space, ideally gained in space projects and technology development.
- Knowledge of Programme/Project management and controlling methods and tools.
- Good IT skills with familiarity with office automation tools e.g. Microsoft Office suite, including MS Access and SharePoint, and production of customised databases.
Required soft skills:
- Autonomy, authority, diplomatic and tactful, with ability to interface with ESA staff at all levels (engineering to management) as well as external actors.
- Good verbal and written communications in English essential. Knowledge of other European languages would be useful.
- Demonstrated ability to analyse and synthesise complex information.
- Rigor, commitment and reliability in the execution of the assigned tasks.
- Proactive attitude to solving problems, identify priority actions and to handle high workload.
Additional assets are:
- An additional qualification in Business Administration, Economics or similar would be an additional advantage.
- Familiarity and experience in the R&D area and coordinating technology development processes, in particular in the space sector, is a distinct advantage.
- Prior experience with technology roadmaps and harmonization activities in scope of ESA or EU research programmes would be an asset.
What can Terma Offer?
At Terma, we consider skilled employees, enthusiasm and job satisfaction as the very foundation of our success and as a prerequisite for the development of the “best-in-class” solutions that Terma provides. We lead the way in applying new technology, offering a wide range of growth opportunities for each individual and emphasizing mutual respect across the board in our workplace.
Terma offers you a pleasant working environment at the customer site, where you will be able to take on challenging tasks and responsibilities in a highly professional company.
- Great opportunities for training and personal development
- Challenges in advanced technical environment
- International and cosmopolitan working atmosphere
- An employment contract with an attractive package with extra-legal benefits
- Highly competitive salary
- Support on re-location (if applicable)
Recruitment is depending on successful selection by the customer.
To ensure that your application will reach us and is properly processed please apply through the following link: https://www.terma.com/careers/apply-to-open-positions/?hr=show-job%2F67547%26locale%3Den_US
Include an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae and a Cover Letter highlighting your background and expertise as well as earliest date of availability.
For further information, please contact Mr. Simon Mills
by telephone [+31 6 2326 2398] or by email [firstname.lastname@example.org].
Closing date: February 14th 2021
Please note the following Legal & Security requirements:
- Applicants must hold all appropriate permits to work in the EU.
- Applicants are required to provide a copy of their ID/passport and degree/higher education certificate. Terma will validate the certificate with the issuing authority.
- In line with ESA security requirements, an official Certificate of Good Conduct (or equivalent) and employment reference checks will be required at commencement of employment. Please attach a copy of any reference letters with your application if you have them.
This Privacy Notice covers any personal data you submit to Terma for the recruiting process, including e.g.:
- Your name, contact details and application status
- Information included in your CV or cover letter, such as job history, academic background, skills and competencies, personal interests, languages spoken, and your photo
- Job preferences and type of employment sought
- Names and contact details for references