Field(s) of expertise
Project and Service Management Space Systems Engineering
About this job
Space Applications Services is a company at the forefront of space technology development and the provision of services for human spaceflight, exploration and earth observation missions. Headquartered in Belgium (Brussels Area), with a research office in the Netherlands and a subsidiary in the USA, the company provides solutions for both commercial and institutional customers. We work with clients such as the European Space Agency, the European Commission, governmental and national space agencies as well as the major space industries. The company develops payloads, avionics, robotics technology and products, and provides complete mission operations control centre solutions to EN9100 standards. The company also provides engineering, science and training services, including astronaut training. In our headquarters, we have a control centre room that operates commercial payloads on the International Space Station, and a laboratory comprising a cleanroom.
The successful candidate will be based in Noordwijk, the Netherlands.
The position is in the Strategic Business Unit Department, International Commercial Experiment Cubes Service (ICE Cubes) Strategic Business Unit (comprised of 5 persons).
The candidate will mainly report to the ICE Cubes Business Unit Manager.
- System engineering of payload infrastructures/facilities directly developed in the frame of the ICE Cubes Service
- Requirements engineering and verification
- System design and interface control (mechanical, electrical, electronics, software)
- COTS subsystem selection, procurement and qualification
- Assessment of safety aspects in the human spaceflight environment
- Support to assembly, integrating, validating and testing payloads and flight hardware, GSE and ground models
- Technical coordination of customers in the process of development and certification of payloads for the platforms served by the ICE Cubes Service
- Set up of the technical framework (documentation, processes, etc.) related to the extension of the ICE Cubes service to new platforms (e.g. external ISS platforms, free flyers, CubeSats)
- Interface with suppliers, subcontractors and customers and platforms organisations.
Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in space systems, mechanical or electrical/electronic engineering, or similar
- Knowledge of the ISS environment for payloads,
- ISS boundary conditions and Product Assurance & Safety (PA&S) procedures
- Experience with full development cycle (from requirements engineering to campaign testing)
- Strength to cope with schedules and deadlines
- Excellent written and spoken English.
The following will be considered as an asset:
- Knowledge of project management
- Familiarity with the ISS operations environment
- Experience with:
- CAD tools in support of configuration studies
- Flight system/payload hardware development for human spaceflight, involving mechanics and electronics Space system development and verification processes (e.g. NASA, ECSS, ESA-HRE-IPL-RQ-0002)
- Space system testing, verification and qualification
- Biotechnology and/or fluids management.
What Do We Offer
- Working within a growing company with Staff located in Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands
- A professional working environment with motivated Engineers and Scientists coming from all different horizons and countries with a common passion for space
- A full-time position
- A competitive remuneration package and good working conditions
- An individualised training and development programmes.
How To Apply
Send your CV and Motivation Letter (both in English) via our website (www.spaceapplications.com), to the attention of Mr. Thomas Peignier.
Applications received through the “Careers” page of our website are reviewed in priority.
The candidate shall be eligible to work in the European Union or in possession of a European Blue Card for two or more years.
We are looking for someone to start as soon as possible.