Field(s) of expertise
Electronics Engineering Telecommunications Engineering
About this job
For our customer, the European Space Agency (ESA), we are seeking an experienced Space Electronics Engineer to work at ESA’s ESTEC site in Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
You will be assigned to ESA/ESTEC’s On-Board Computer and Data Systems Section, within the Directorate of Technical and Quality Management.
The Section provides functional support to ESA projects and carries out technological research (R&D) on turn-key on-board HW Data Handling solutions for platform and payload data handling architectures and units (on-board computers, mass memories, remote terminals, etc.).
This position concerns functional support to the Galileo 2nd Generation satellite Project (G2B satellite), under the responsibility of the Galileo Programme Department, Directorate of Navigation. ESA is starting the procurement of the first batch of the Galileo Second Generation (G2) satellites, which will provide all the services and capabilities of the current first generation, together with a substantial number of improvements as well as new services and capabilities.
In this position you will be On-Board Computer and Data Systems Engineer reporting directly to the G2B Satellite Platform Manager. You will be responsible for the definition, implementation and procurement of the G2B spacecraft Avionics sub-systems including the data handling subsystem (DHS), Attitude and Orbit Control Systems (AOCS) and Electrical Propulsion Sub-system (EPS)..
In particular, within the programme guidelines and constraints as defined by the G2B Satellite Platform Manager, you shall:
- provide expert technical support and consultancy to the Galileo projects regarding on-board Computer and Data-Handling systems throughout all project phases;
- lead and coordinate specialized engineering support provided by the Directorates of Technical & Quality Management and Operation for:
- monitoring the industrial work associated with design, development, validation, qualification and acceptance of the Avionics sub-systems (DHS, AOCS, EPS) and associated equipment ensuring that these meet the satellite and security requirements with the support of specialized AOCS and EPS engineers provided by the Directorates of Technical & Quality Management;
- monitoring the industrial activities related to the definition and execution of the satellite verification programme in the areas of responsibility, including implementation and monitoring of AIT/AIV activities on Avionics sub-systems and equipment with the specialized AOCS and EPS engineers provided by the Directorates of Technical & Quality Management.
- contributing to the control and management of the satellite budgets in the areas of responsibility with the support of specialized AOCS and EPS engineers provided by the Directorates of Technical & Quality Management.
- ensuring timely delivery of the Deliverable Items (to allow preparation of in-orbit operations) in the domain of responsibility as foreseen by industrial activities included in the SoW;
- elaborating in the area of expertise the dispositions related to anomaly-handling, NRBs, NCR process, RFD/W, etc.;
- participating in Agency project reviews and lower-level reviews in the relevant field of competence (DHS, AOCS, EPS);
- preparing the inputs in the area of expertise for the Satellite Verification Control Board and Space Segment Control Boards’ processes;
- Regular and ad hoc reporting to the Satellite Platform Manager on all aspects of Avionics Sub-Systems and equipment development, proactive monitoring of relevant schedules, identifying risk and problem areas, proposing mitigation actions.
- In performing these duties, the post holder shall ensure:
- close cooperation with the ESA Security engineer and the other G2B team engineers;
- close coordination with other G2B functions (PA, Security, Operations) as appropriate to maximise efficiency in executing the project.
Finally, you will participate in periodic meetings with the parent On-Board Computer & Data Handling section, contributing to the transfer of technical knowledge and lessons learned (within the limits of mandated project confidentiality) across the Agency.
This is a full-time position located at ESTEC, Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
The requested start of work is August 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter.
The successful candidate shall have:
- A Master or PhD in Electronics, Networks, Telecommunications or a related field is required.
- At least 10 years of professional experience in the fields of space hardware related to platform and payload data handling equipment (units, modules, and boards) and some experience in the AOCS and EPS subsystems.
- Knowledge in the fields of Avionics Electrical Ground Support Equipment (EGSE) and in the field of multi-core on-board computer architectures will be considered as assets.
Knowledge in the following fields will be considered as asset:
- Prior experience in supporting procurement activities for data handling subsystems would be an asset.
- Ability to work in an autonomous manner, in particular when providing support to projects with high time allocations and this in coordination with the line manager.
What can Terma Offer?
At Terma, we consider skilled employees, enthusiasm and job satisfaction as the very foundation of our success and as a prerequisite for the development of the “best-in-class” solutions that Terma provides. We lead the way in applying new technology, offering a wide range of growth opportunities for each individual and emphasizing mutual respect across the board in our workplace.
Terma offers you a pleasant working environment at the customer site, where you will be able to take on challenging tasks and responsibilities in a highly professional company.
- Great opportunities for training and personal development
- Challenges in advanced technical environment
- International and cosmopolitan working atmosphere
- An employment contract with an attractive package with extra-legal benefits
- Highly competitive salary
- Support on re-location (if applicable)
Recruitment is depending on successful selection by the customer.
To ensure that your application will reach us and is properly processed please apply through the ‘Apply’ link below. Include an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae and a Cover Letter highlighting your background and expertise as well as earliest date of availability:
For further information, please contact Mr. Simon Mills by telephone [+31 6 2326 2398] or by email [firstname.lastname@example.org].
Closing date: July 2nd 2021
Please note the following Legal & Security requirements:
- Applicants must hold all appropriate permits to work in the EU.
- Applicants are required to provide a copy of their ID/passport and degree/higher education certificate. Terma will validate the certificate with the issuing authority.
- In line with ESA security requirements, an official Certificate of Good Conduct (or equivalent) and employment reference checks will be required at commencement of employment. Please attach a copy of any reference letters with your application if you have them.
This Privacy Notice covers any personal data you submit to Terma for the recruiting process, including e.g.:
- Your name, contact details and application status
- Information included in your CV or cover letter, such as job history, academic background, skills and competencies, personal interests, languages spoken, and your photo
- Job preferences and type of employment sought
- Names and contact details for references