Field(s) of expertise
About this job
For our customer, the European Space Agency (ESA), we are seeking an experienced Power Conditioning Engineer to work at ESA’s ESTEC site in Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
You will be assigned to ESA/ESTEC’s Power Management & Distribution Section within the Directorate of Technology, Engineering and Quality.
The Section provides support to ESA projects in the power conditioning domain, including analysis, design, simulation, and laboratory testing, as well as actively pursuing R&D activities with the Directorate’s R&D programmes.
The tasks to be performed are to support the generic section tasks detailed below:
- The design, development and test of spacecraft power systems for on-board applications. This work encompasses the definition of centralised power systems having overall power levels up to 25 kilowatts, together with their interfaces with respect to solar arrays and batteries, the attendant power distribution/protection equipment and pyrotechnic activation functions. Detailed tasks include the overall system design necessary for the development of fault-tolerant power control and distribution concepts, the detailed design of the power regulators and the identification/use of tools and methods for ensuring dependable design and verification.
- The development of simulation blocks for system analysis (batteries, solar cells & arrays, power control and distribution units) useful for the independent evaluation of critical power and energy budgets (in support to running projects of the Agency).
- Support to laboratory activities concerning design and development or verification of circuits for power management and distribution (solar array and battery conversion electronics, power distribution and protection electronics, power conversion for generic and specific purposes, including redundancy and protections).
- Active involvement in critical R&D activities support (by simulation, worst case analysis and laboratory testing of the overall system or of the most critical sub-units).
- Assisting to the development and validation of worst case simulation blocks for electrical equipment analysis (converters, shunt regulators, current limiters, protections, critical telemetry or telecommand functions) useful for the independent check of the most critical equipment functionality and performances, in support to all programmes reviews where the power conditioning section is involved.
- The development and verification of high voltage design technologies and associated power converters, suitable for application as Electronic Power Conditioners (EPCs) for specialised spacecraft payloads such as Travelling Wave Tube Assemblies (TWTA’s) and Electric Propulsion Concepts.
This is a full-time position located at ESTEC, Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
The requested start of work is September 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter.
The successful candidate shall have:
- A Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Electronic Engineering, or Physics. Education to PhD level in a relevant subject will be an asset.
- At least 4 years relevant professional working experience, some of which within the space industry.
- Electrical power processing background, together with a good experience of digital and analogue electronics and control theory.
- Proven experience on space power conversion systems.
- Specific experience in:
- Digital Control of power converters.
- FPGA and microcontroller programming.
- Design of power converters with Gallium Nitride (GaN) semiconductors.
- Experience in the development of computer models, especially with SPICE-based simulators.
- Knowledge and the experience on High Voltage power conditioning for space application constitute an asset.
What can Terma Offer?
At Terma, we consider skilled employees, enthusiasm and job satisfaction as the very foundation of our success and as a prerequisite for the development of the “best-in-class” solutions that Terma provides. We lead the way in applying new technology, offering a wide range of growth opportunities for each individual and emphasizing mutual respect across the board in our workplace.
Terma offers you a pleasant working environment at the customer site, where you will be able to take on challenging tasks and responsibilities in a highly professional company.
- Great opportunities for training and personal development
- Challenges in advanced technical environment
- International and cosmopolitan working atmosphere
- An employment contract with an attractive package with extra-legal benefits
- Highly competitive salary
- Support on re-location (if applicable)
Recruitment is depending on successful selection by the customer.
To ensure that your application will reach us and is properly processed please apply through the ‘Apply’ link below. Include an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae and a Cover Letter highlighting your background and expertise as well as earliest date of availability:
For further information, please contact Mr. Simon Mills by telephone [+31 6 2326 2398] or by email [email@example.com].
Closing date: July 13th 2021
Please note the following Legal & Security requirements:
- Applicants must hold all appropriate permits to work in the EU.
- Applicants are required to provide a copy of their ID/passport and degree/higher education certificate. Terma will validate the certificate with the issuing authority.
- In line with ESA security requirements, an official Certificate of Good Conduct (or equivalent) and employment reference checks will be required at commencement of employment. Please attach a copy of any reference letters with your application if you have them.