Field(s) of expertise
Software Engineering Space Systems Engineering
About this job
For our customer, the European Space Agency (ESA), we are seeking an experienced space On-board Software Engineer to work at ESA’s ESTEC site in Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
You will be assigned to ESA/ESTEC’s Flight Software Systems Section, within the Directorate of Technical and Quality Management, in the function of On-board Software System Engineer, and will be in charge of the following (initial) tasks:
- Supporting a variety of ESA space missions in the field of real-time embedded software and systems;
- Participating in the full development lifecycle of the mission and on-board software;
- Identifying technical risks and critical areas in the development process while assisting in their resolution;
- Applying the principles of mission & safety critical software development across multiple disciplines;
- Providing expert technical support and consultancy to general studies in the field of real-time embedded software systems, flight software systems development and software validation facilities focused on both simulated environments and hardware in the loop.
This is a full-time position located at ESTEC, Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
The requested start of work is September/October 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter.
The successful candidate shall have:
- A Master degree or equivalent qualification in Computer Science, Electronic Engineering, Space Systems Engineering, Mathematics or a related discipline.
- At least 4 years’ experience in real-time software and embedded software, ideally acquired in the space sector.
- In particular, experience with:
- Modern software engineering methods and tools;
- Real-time embedded software and Real Time Kernels;
- Software development projects and knowledge of all phases of the software development lifecycle;
- Programming languages: C, Ada, C++ and/or others;
- Micro-processors such as SPARC LEON, ARM, multicore’s etc;
- Communication protocols (Mil-1553, SpaceWire, CAN);
- Knowledge and experience with Software Engineering standards such as the ECSS-E-ST-40C.
- Knowledge of spacecraft systems would be an advantage.
- Be able to function as part of a team.
- Because of the operational nature of the support, a proactive and flexible attitude will be required.
What can Terma Offer?
At Terma, we consider skilled employees, enthusiasm and job satisfaction as the very foundation of our success and as a prerequisite for the development of the “best-in-class” solutions that Terma provides. We lead the way in applying new technology, offering a wide range of growth opportunities for each individual and emphasizing mutual respect across the board in our workplace.
Terma offers you a pleasant working environment at the customer site, where you will be able to take on challenging tasks and responsibilities in a highly professional company.
- Great opportunities for training and personal development
- Challenges in advanced technical environment
- International and cosmopolitan working atmosphere
- An employment contract with an attractive package with extra-legal benefits
- Highly competitive salary
- Support on re-location (if applicable)
Recruitment is depending on successful selection by the customer.
To ensure that your application will reach us and is properly processed please apply through the ‘Apply’ link below. Include an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae and a Cover Letter highlighting your background and expertise as well as earliest date of availability:
For further information, please contact Mr. Simon Mills
by telephone [+31 6 2326 2398] or by email [email@example.com].
Closing date: September 7th 2021
Please note the following Legal & Security requirements:
- Applicants must hold all appropriate permits to work in the EU.
- Applicants are required to provide a copy of their ID/passport and degree/higher education certificate. Terma will validate the certificate with the issuing authority.
- In line with ESA security requirements, an official Certificate of Good Conduct (or equivalent) and employment reference checks will be required at commencement of employment. Please attach a copy of any reference letters with your application if you have them.
This Privacy Notice covers any personal data you submit to Terma for the recruiting process, including e.g.:
- Your name, contact details and application status
- Information included in your CV or cover letter, such as job history, academic background, skills and competencies, personal interests, languages spoken, and your photo
- Job preferences and type of employment sought
- Names and contact details for references