Field(s) of expertise
Marketing and Sales
About this job
Are you a Service Designer looking for a new challenge? Do you want to apply a user-centred design approach to creating world changing services with cutting edge space technology? Then our Design Thinker role is the opportunity you have been waiting for.
The User Centred Design Team at the Catapult bridge the gap between technical specialists, business experts, and end-users, blazing the trail in the space industry with a needs-driven rather than technology-pushed approach to application development. Our work ranges from product design to user experience, service design to process design, and strategy design to policy design.
We are changing the world through applying space technologies in areas as diverse as agriculture, disaster relief and sustainable development. Supporting small and large companies alike. Projects may be internal or external, but your work will very likely be used and seen by a global audience.
We value enthusiasm, a willingness to learn and someone who values joy in their process. Humour is an essential part of our day to day life.
As a Design Thinker you will support and lead design projects of various sizes. You will conduct research, and carry out field work, both within the UK and internationally. You will capture user requirements and translate them into design specifications, supporting the development of new technologies and services which solve real world problems.
You will champion design thinking across not only the Space Industry, but all the industries we support, engaging with start-ups and industry giants, academic institutions and governments (both at home and abroad).
You will bring new ideas, methods, and strategies to not just the team, but the organisation, inspiring those you work with, and being inspired by them.
- You have experience (along with a relevant degree) in one or more of the following design-related areas:
- You have experience leading design projects.
- You can comfortably express yourself and your ideas using Adobe Creative Cloud (PS, Ai, Ae, Id, etc. – whichever you need).
- You can communicate through sketching and whiteboard markers are a natural extension of your hand.
- You can explain why understanding need is essential to creating a sustainable solution, where sustainable doesn’t just mean green.
- You know what HCD and design thinking means and have experience using them.
- You have a good grounding in design theory, are keen to learn more, as well as create new methodologies.
- You are self-driven, organised and able to motivate others.
- You are someone who wants to change the world and believes that user-centred design is an essential tool in achieving this.
- You prototype as proof of concept, work visually as much as possible.
- You can act as a translator, encouraging and facilitating work between disparate groups with differing skills, values and approaches.
- You can tell stories and use these narratives to win people over to your cause.
- You are naturally curious and not afraid to ask questions.
- You want to influence how the team works, rather than simply following orders.
- You would have no qualms telling the Emperor he needs to put some clothes on.
Great to have
- You dabble in coding (or are interested to learn) and can have a meaningful conversation with developers.
- You have worked with technical teams to deliver digital service projects from inception to delivery.
- You are entrepreneurial and either understand or are keen to learn how to create a sustainable business case.
- You have experience with using Invision for prototyping and UI development.
- You consider yourself a master Lego builder.