Field(s) of expertise
About this job
The Satellite Applications Catapult is an established Research and Technology Organisation that employs skilled and aspiring researchers, technologists and business experts to work together with academic and industrial partners to create applications that make satellites part of every-day life. The organisation will establish an open and innovative environment, cultivating an ethos of knowledge exchange and community engagement, and over the next few years will become a world class centre of expertisein its field.
As a key member of the Catapult’s Geospatial Intelligence team, you will be part of an exciting and expanding effort to further the exploitation of data from remote sensing satellites. The role involves close engagement in cutting-edge development projects and activities at the forefront of EO technologies. Activities will range from image processing and GIS analysis, scientific research, commercial productisation,collaborative development to thematic workshop organisation. The successful candidate will enjoy working within a stimulating environment supported by the latest tools and a team of experienced and skilled staff from a diverse range of backgrounds
- Technical image processing and GIS analysis supported by scientific research applying best practice standards.
- Writing, contributing and mediating technical reports and presentations delivered to various stakeholders/customers.
- Provide technical input to proposal development.
- Assessing the viability (both technical and economic) of new application and service concepts.
- Supporting innovation by integrating EO with other technologies.
- Developing user-centric technology solutions.
- Supporting other areas of the Catapult business, including business development engagement and marketing.
Required Skills and Experience
- Effective team player with excellent technical ability in the applications of satellite EO, notably:
- Proven experience of remote sensing processing techniques using commercial/open source remote sensing and GIS software tools.
- Knowledge of optical and SAR remote sensing theory/science.
- Knowledge of geospatial data formats and principles.
- Knowledge of data science concepts.
- Experience in programming geospatial tools.
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Experience of developing R&D projects.
- Able to re-locate or commute to the Harwell area.
- Aptitude for open and collaborative working as well as being an ‘ideas’ person.
- Working in partnership/consortia environments.
- Demonstrate customer-facing experience.
- Understanding of the EO Industry in the UK and Europe, broader international knowledge is an advantage.
- Broad knowledge across several application areas.
- Experience working with an SME or in a start-up is an advantage.