Field(s) of expertise
Telecommunications Engineering Aerospace Engineering Electronics Engineering
About this job
Serco Europe is recruiting a Radio Navigation Engineer to work on our Customers Site (ESA-ESTEC).
Serco is a trusted provider of services to National Space Agencies and the European Space Agency (ESA), we have over 40 years’ experience supporting the space sector and providing services for all stages of our customer’s space missions.
- Support to Navigation Projects (e.g. EGNOS and GALILEO) and R&D activities in the fields of system and receivers performances in a hybrid Positioning-Navigation-Timing (PNT) framework (e.g. derivation of system performances and requirements, GNSS algorithms at signal and position level, alternative PNT systems and use of signals from LEO and from terrestrial cellular systems such as 5G, dead-reckoning motion sensors, etc.).
- Contribute to the Agency’s R&D strategy and research programs elaboration and implementation, among others, in the following areas: future PNT systems and concepts, integrity and receiver algorithms (signal processing, advanced hybrid PNT algorithms, situational awareness and mitigation of local impairments, use of signals of opportunity and 5G / 5G NTN) for improved availability, reliability and resilience.
- Participation and active contributions to ESA activities supporting standardisation bodies and technical working groups addressing the aforementioned topics.
- Design, definition and follow up of industrial contracts related to the aforementioned topics, including for example, R&D activities, procurement of GNSS testbeds and receivers for infrastructure or user technologies / test user segments.
- Support design, implementation, maintenance and operation of Radio Navigation equipment, complex Radio Navigation simulation tools and test facilities for testing features (end-to-end performances, receivers, etc.) in the aforementioned activities.
- Master’s degree in the fields of Telecommunications, Electrical Engineering, Physics or Aerospace Engineering.
- Minimum 4 years of relevant experience.
- Specific knowledge in the design and testing of Radio Navigation systems and equipment.
- Strong knowledge on the design of satellite navigation systems, ranging and positioning techniques, RF, signal processing techniques, and digital navigation receivers.
- Proven experience in the implementation, maintenance and operation of complex Radio Navigation simulation and test facilities for spacecraft, aircraft, maritime and land mobile applications.
- Strong experience at user level with satellite navigation receivers and satellite navigation positioning and integrity algorithms.
- Background and solid experience including hands-on experience on testbeds and field trials in several of the following fields:
- GNSS/SBAS systems and associated user technologies,
- Non-GNSS PNT systems and user technologies (in particular those involving 5G and/or V2X technologies);
- advanced signal processing and estimation algorithms applied to PNT (e.g. 5G signals, angular measurements, MIMO, kalman filter, sensor fusion, etc.);
- space and ground systems architecture;
- Experience in one or more of the following fields is considered an asset: Galileo OS/HAS/CAS, Message/Ranging Authentication, Signals of Opportunity, EGNOS, Space GNSS receivers.
- Some experience of commercial simulation software is desirable.
- Proficient in the English language, both written and spoken.
- Knowledge of another ESA member-state language is an asset.
- Candidates must be eligible to work in the EU.
- Eligibility to obtain an EU personal security clearance from the relevant national authority.