Field(s) of expertise
Space Systems Engineering Earth Observation Software Engineering
About this job
Serco is a trusted provider of services to National Space Agencies and the European Space Agency (ESA), we have over 40 years’ experience supporting the space sector and providing services for all stages of our customer’s space missions.
Dedicated to the European Space Agency’s Earth-observing activities, ESA-ESRIN is the European centre of excellence for exploitation of Earth observation missions. The mission and payload operations of ESA’s Earth observation satellites are managed here, and ESRIN is the primary source for the acquisition, distribution, and exploitation of data from these and other non-ESA satellites.
We are recruiting a Junior Systems Engineer to join our multi-cultural team in Frascati, Italy.
You will be involved in Maintenance activities relevant to Copernicus, Destination Earth (DestinE) and Italian PNRR initiatives. The position allows to work on every aspect of System Engineering, such as software design, software validation, support to Operations Teams, Test automation, interface facilitation between Teams.
- Supporting the design and implementation of End-to-End solutions for operational systems, considering initial requirement analysis
- Supporting corrective and evolutive maintenance activities, performing troubleshooting analysis and solving problems by implementing dedicated technical solutions
- Supporting Integration, Validation and Verification (IVV) activities
- Supporting the design and implementation of automated Testing Pipelines (Jenkins, CI/CD)
- Reviewing and updating technical documentation to streamline the flow of information from Development Team to Operations Team
- Analysing and optimizing the configurations of the COTS present in the Operating environment to improve the quality of the Service
- Good knowledge of Linux/Unix Operating System Environment, and bash scripting
- Good programming Skills (e.g. Python, Shell Script, Java etc)
- Good knowledge of Docker development
- Knowledge in automation scripting
- Capability of writing technical documentation (e.g. Interface Control Document, System Design Document)
- Fluent in English (written and spoken)
Nice to have:
- Knowledge of Database Management Systems (e.g. PostgreSQL, Solr)
- Knowledge of container-based applications and Cloud deployments principles
- Knowledge of Testing Pipelines (Jenkins, CI/CD)
- Knowledge of Earth Observation satellite data product formats
- Knowledge of Copernicus and Destination Earth (DestinE) programs
- Experience in System Engineering processes (e.g. ECSS standard)