Field(s) of expertise
About this job
Serco is a trusted provider of services to National Space Agencies and the European Space Agency (ESA) where we have over 40 years’ experience supporting the space sector and providing services for all stages of our customer’s space missions.
We are seeking a bright, post-doc-like scientist with some experience to join the Quality Control Ecosystem team supporting the activities in the frame of the Quality Assurance for Earth Observation (QA4EO) ESA project and other national and international Earth Observation Quality Control and R&D projects.
The post-holder will develop new tools and methods for the quality assessment of satellite-based atmospheric products and maintain the existing ones. The post-holder will perform calibration/validation activities on satellite-based atmospheric products by exploiting ground- and satellite-based concurrent products.
This role can be based out of Frascati or Bologna.
The Scientist will perform the following activities under the direction and guidance of the Work Package leader and Area Manager:
- Develop new tools and maintain the already existing ones for the handling of current and past atmospheric satellite mission data
- Develop tools and methods for the quality assessment of satellite products against collocated ground- and satellite-based products of similar type
- Perform data Quality Control and Cal/Val activities for national and international space agencies in the atmospheric chemistry and physics domain
- Support data reprocessing of atmospheric missions from national and international space agencies in the atmospheric chemistry and physics domain
- Contribute to the writing of scientific papers and technical reports and preparation of scientific presentations at international conferences/workshops
- Attendance at project progress meetings or workshops/conferences
Mandatory requisites are:
- Good experience in handling and analysing EO data
- Good scientific programming skills (e.g. Python, IDL, R, Fortran)
- Knowledge/experience of atmospheric physics or chemistry
- Good oral and written communication
- Experience in scientific publication and reporting (including oral presentations) of results
- Good working proficiency in English
In addition, the candidate shall have the following:
- Attitude to follow guidelines and to require minimum supervision, proactively requesting help when needed
- Ability to plan and report activities and to work to deadlines
- Availability to travel to attend meetings
All of the candidates must be eligible to work in EU.