Field(s) of expertise
About this job
Serco is a leading Space Services Provider with thousands of skilled resources that has supported over 50 space missions on behalf of more than 10 Space or Government agencies around the globe, including the ESA and NASA. Serco offers space capability across the full space lifecycle from satellite testing to Launch services, LEOP to spacecraft operations, space surveillance to data management, and supporting downstream application development. With over 55 years history in the space sector Serco is well placed to contribute to National strategies and New Space ventures who want to scale their businesses/organisations with skilled talent. Serco Europe is recruiting a Mission Performance Chain Engineer to work on our Customers Site (ESA-ESTEC).
The successful candidate will provide support to Earth Observation Projects in the domain of End-to-end (E2E) Mission Performance covering both software and algorithm aspects. He/she will work integrated in the relevant Project Teams and will report to the System Manager (or equivalent role within the Project).
- The technical definition, the procurement and the verification of the E2E Mission Performance Simulator software chain including in particular the Instrument Simulator and the Level 1 Processor Prototype.
- The definition and execution or supervision of activities within and outside ESA to ensure the E2E mission performance, in particular at Level-1. To do this he/she will contribute to the activities of the other staff and contractors, interfacing with internal (e.g. Instrument Engineer, GS Engineer) and external (e.g. Industry, Mission Scientist, Level 2 team) actors as needed.
- Contribute to the overall specification of the E2E Mission Performance Simulator chain (from Scene Generation up to Level-2).
- Monitoring the development of the Instrument Simulator Software developed through an ESA contract with industry.
- Monitoring the development of the Level 1 Prototype Processor Software developed through an ESA contract with industry.
- Monitoring the development and the integration of the overall E2E Mission Performance Simulator chain and its components, developed through an ESA contract with industry.
- Reviewing the Level-1 and Instrument Simulator algorithms and input/output interfaces.
- Perform the integration of E2E Mission Performance Simulator chain developed by industry with the L2 scientific components developed by
- Ensuring that the E2E Mission Performance Simulator chain and its components and algorithms meet the required functionality and performance, taking into account system, instrument, geophysical model and calibration/validation facility aspects.
- Installing, maintaining and operating an up-to-date copy of the E2E Mission Performance Simulator software at ESTEC.
- Analyzing impacts on the mission performance resulting from deviations during the development programme.
- Ensuring the proper verification and validation methods are proposed and implemented.
- Supporting Test Data production and verification.
- Supporting the analysis of the data collected during on-ground and in-orbit calibration and characterization campaigns.
- Developing any needed software tool to support all the mentioned activities.
- Providing necessary inputs for the relevant internal and external meetings.
- Master’s degree or equivalent qualification in Computer science, Physics or Engineering.
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience.
- Very good knowledge of computer environments and software development (Linux, compilers, debuggers, scripting such as python, shell scripts, perl…).
- Knowledge of the Earth Observation (payload data) ground segment, including; processes such as calibration, monitoring routine data processing; processors and facilities; interactions with other stakeholders (FOS, end users).
- Knowledge of data analysis/processing (statistics, error budgets; simulations; data tools).
- Working knowledge on remote sensing techniques.
- Good level of autonomy and organizing skills.
- Comfortable with working in a diverse and multinational team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills are needed, together with a high degree organizational and communication abilities.
- Proficient in the English language, both written and spoken.
- Knowledge of another EU member state language is an asset.
- Candidates must be eligible to work in the EU.
What we offer:
- Competitive Salary
- Corporate Benefits Package
- Support provided to EU Nationals requiring relocation – Information available upon request
- Company events