Field(s) of expertise
Space Systems Engineering
About this job
Serco is a leading Space Services Provider with thousands of skilled resources that has supported over 50 space missions on behalf of more than 10 Space or Government agencies around the globe, including the ESA and NASA. Serco offers space capability across the full space lifecycle from satellite testing to Launch services, LEOP to spacecraft operations, space surveillance to data management, and supporting downstream application development. With over 55 years history in the space sector Serco is well placed to contribute to National strategies and New Space ventures who want to scale their businesses/organizations with skilled talent.
We are seeking a System Modelling and Simulation Engineer to work on our Customers Site (ESA-ESTEC) in the Netherlands. This is a fantastic opportunity to get into one of the most sought after space agencies in the world.
- Modelling of systems (including spacecraft, ground segment and other required auxiliary systems).
- Elaboration, development and promotion of tools for distributed and collaborative engineering.
- Support for mission simulation, science operations planning and scheduling and experiment operations verification.
- Elaboration, development and promotion of the concept of generic simulation testbeds (such as ATB), applicable for different projects, including preparation and promotion of relevant standards.
- Real-time simulation infrastructure and tools based on different platforms, including LINUX environments. This infrastructure can support both hardware-in-the-loop and man-in-the-loop simulation.
- Support to ESA project teams in activities related to the procurement of EGSE for space systems, subsystems and instruments including preparation of requirement specifications, monitoring of industrial activities, acceptance of industrial products and participation in project reviews.
- Support to ESA project teams in activities related to the development of space system database software and utilization including support to specification, architecture, implementation, software problem solving, exchange and interfaces with external systems, data modelling verification of consistency and completeness of data, compliance with technical documentation, project reviews.
- Visualisation and graphical user interaction on different levels, including MMI design,parameter visualization, and up to high-end 3-D real-time, interactive and immersive visualisation systems, also known as Virtual Reality (VR) simulation.
- Develop, integrate and maintain VR applications and the related technology.
- Maintenance of the EGSE- SCOS based reference facility and Space System Database reference facility to support prototyping of new technology; standards validation and evaluation of industrial methods and tools.
- Participation in the definition of standards for ground system and operations, electrical test facilities and modelling and simulation in the context of ECSS and ESA internal standardisation.
This position shall provide expert support in the field of Extended Reality (XR), which combines Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR). Based in the EGSE and Ground Systems section at ESTEC, a significant amount of the support will be provided to the XR team located at the European Astronaut Centre (EAC) in Cologne, where XR technologies are envisaged for space operations training, space modules design, science preparation, future operations and haptics. In addition, XR activities in the space domain in general, and specifically in spacecraft testing shall be supported.
Some other specific tasks are:
- To provide expert support on XR technologies, both on the software and hardware;
- To analyse, propose and document the most adequate XR software and hardware architectures, to achieve the various project goals;
- To collect and analyse user experiences (from trainers, operation teams, scientist), and to suggest improvements;
- To promote the use of XR technologies with end-users in the various ESA application domains;
- To maintain close contact with experts in the field, with ESA internal groups, industry and research institutions;
- To support the Agency’s tendering actions in the related field, and to perform the technical oversight of industrial activities;
- To contribute to the ESA strategy on XR by providing inputs to roadmaps and workplans.
- An academic degree in Computer Science or Aerospace Engineering, or in another relevant engineering discipline.
- A minimum of 4 years of relevant professional experience.
- A deep knowledge of XR (AR and VR) technologies, both of software and hardware.
- Experience with at least one commonly used 3D rendering engine (e.g. Unreal or Unity).
- Knowledge of software engineering processes and related standards.
- The capability to work in close collaboration both with ESA internal groups and with external entities.
- A proactive attitude and the ability to organise the assigned tasks efficiently and effectively
- Excellent interpersonal skills are needed, together with a high degree organizational and communication abilities, and comfortable with working in a diverse and multinational team environment
- Problem solving mind set and high capacity to deliver are highly considered.
- Proficient in the English language, both written and spoken.
- Knowledge of another EU member state language is an asset.
Within Serco we believe there is a place here for everyone. Diversity & Inclusion at Serco is based on a culture where every voice is heard, and every employee feels valued. Working together as one team, we can enhance the experience of our people and teams, improve the value of our solutions to better serve the missions of our customers, and make a difference in our world. We are enthusiastic and passionate about our work which is infectious. We allow our employees to take responsibility for their work and promote a positive working culture.
What we offer:
- Competitive Salary.
- Corporate Benefits Package.
- Support provided on relocation – Information available upon request.
- Company Events.