Field(s) of expertise
Aerospace Engineering Space Systems Engineering
About this job
Serco is a leading Space Services Provider with thousands of skilled resources that has supported over 50 space missions on behalf of more than 10 Space or Government agencies around the globe, including the ESA and NASA. Serco offers space capability across the full space lifecycle from satellite testing to Launch services, LEOP to spacecraft operations, space surveillance to data management, and supporting downstream application development. With over 55 years history in the space sector Serco is well placed to contribute to National strategies and New Space ventures who want to scale their businesses/organizations with skilled talent.
We are seeking an Data Centre Support Engineer to work on our Customers Site (ESA-ESTEC) in the Netherlands. This is a fantastic opportunity to get into one of the most sought after space agencies in the world.
The ESTEC IT Landscape consists of several small to medium size server rooms and two main communication infrastructure centres, mainly referred to as “network core areas”.
Data Centre Management:
- Act as main point of contact for all ESTEC data centre related activities.
- Ensure all deployments are installed to applicable internal, manufacture and industry standards.
- Provide smart hands problem solving support (server reboots, backups, visual inspections etc.)
- Monitor and follow-up the data centre routine activities.
- Coordinate data centre changes and incidents.
- Trigger agreed procedures when required.
- Perform compliance and risk analysis of data centre activities and manage escalations.
- Distribute and communicate to all teams relevant information to optimize efficiency and minimize risks in data centre activities.
- Ensure that everything in data centre is in line with approved procedures and raise corrective actions when needed.
- Monitor the progress of open actions and ensure timely closure.
- Schedule and coordinate data centre activities in order to improve overall efficiency and reduce risks.
- Make post implementation reviews and lessons-learnt analysis.
- Perform the continuous evaluation of processes and coordination activities looking for improvements.
- Analyse interlock and dependencies between processes.
- Detect on a regular basis any missing procedures.
- Update data centre procedures when necessary.
Data Collection and Documentation:
- Device data shall be captured for each device, rack-mounted or free-standing, within the following categories and documented inside the open DCIM tool: Rack Location: The location within the rack where the RMD exists; Rack Position: Rack unit and horizontal position of device inside cabinet; Serial: Serial number of device; Name: Unique device name as assigned; Manufacturer: Manufacturer of the device; Model: Model number assigned to the device; Device Info: size, power consumption, configuration, OS, device contact etc.; Power Supplies: Number of power supplies connected to power strips, position, Circuit ID, phase, PDU/circuit name etc.; Network and VLAN data, interconnecting devices; Patch cables and assigned cable numbers.
- An essential requirement for this work package is to keep the data inside the DCIM tool always accurate, ensuring that all existing DCIM records are updated following any changes made and that documentation is also kept up to date for all processes.
Reporting and documentation:
- Provide a monthly report detailing the actual data centre metrics (space, power, cooling, network connectivity), capacity trends, tasks performed, and problems encountered during the reporting period.
- Monthly capacity, status and progress reporting shall be provided to the WP Technical Officer.
- Master’s degree or a relevant technical qualification in the field of IT Systems or Network Engineering.
- At least 5 years’ experience with service delivery and management in the areas of:
- Data Centres and Data Centre Infrastructure Management
- Passive IT Infrastructures, Data Cabling Plants
- Server, Storage and Networking Infrastructures.
- ITIL Service Lifecycle Foundation, CNET Data Centre Certification would be an asset.
- Experience in the management, operation and maintenance of critical data centre IT systems and understands the full range of M&E equipment in a modern critical data centre environment.
- Analytical skills to interpret client requirements and produce desired results.
- Ability to work both autonomously and as part of a team within the boundaries of assigned tasks and a stringent schedule.
- Excellent interpersonal skills are needed and comfortable with working in a diverse and multinational team environment
- Problem solving mind set and high capacity to deliver are highly considered.
- Proficient in the English language, both written and spoken.
- Knowledge of another EU member state language is an asset.
Within Serco we believe there is a place here for everyone. Diversity & Inclusion at Serco is based on a culture where every voice is heard, and every employee feels valued. Working together as one team, we can enhance the experience of our people and teams, improve the value of our solutions to better serve the missions of our customers, and make a difference in our world. We are enthusiastic and passionate about our work which is infectious. We allow our employees to take responsibility for their work and promote a positive working culture.
What we offer:
- Competitive Salary.
- Corporate Benefits Package.
- Support provided on relocation – Information available upon request.
- Company Events.