Field(s) of expertise
Space Systems Engineering
About this job
Serco is a leading Space Services Provider with thousands of skilled resources that has supported over 50 space missions on behalf of more than 10 Space or Government agencies around the globe, including the ESA and NASA. Serco offers space capability across the full space lifecycle from satellite testing to Launch services, LEOP to spacecraft operations, space surveillance to data management, and supporting downstream application development. With over 55 years history in the space sector Serco is well placed to contribute to National strategies and New Space ventures who want to scale their businesses/organizations with skilled talent.
We are seeking a RF Navigation Payload Engineer to work on our Customers Site (ESA-ESTEC) in the Netherlands. This is a fantastic opportunity to get into one of the most sought-after space agencies in the world.
The candidate will be assigned to the RF Payload Engineering and Digital Equipment section (TEC-EFP) with the role of “RF NAVIGATION PAYLOAD ENGINEER” and will mainly provide support to the LEO-PNT Project and support section’s activities. The LEO-PNT Project, a component of the Future NAV programme, includes the implementation of an overall end-to-end in-orbit service demonstrator for positioning, navigation and timing (PNT) in low-Earth orbit (LEO), including system engineering, satellites and launch services, ground segment and operations, system validation, experimentation and service demonstration.The candidate will provide support as Navigation Payload Engineer to the LEO-PNT Project, in particular:
- Support the procurement of the LEO-PNT payload elements
- Manage and control Navigation payload(s) requirements
- Monitor and control Navigation payload performance allocation and budgeting
- Participate to the Navigation payload procurement process
- Monitor all aspects of the Navigation payload development (design, implementation and verification/testing),
- Follow-up the qualification and acceptance verification activities, identifying also the necessary breadboarding and model-philosophy approach
- Assess payload and system navigation performance during all project phases
- Interact with ESA unit-equipment specialists as necessary for the navigation payload complete development
Support section’s activities, in particular:
- Contribute to internal R&D activities for the design, modelling architectural trade-off and performance assessment of navigation payloads with main emphasis on payloads based on digital signal processing and active antennas
- Perform technical management of R&D activities with industry/institutions in the field of advanced payload concepts and sub-systems/equipment development for navigation payloads,
- Contribute to the generation and promotion of innovative ideas for future satellite missions in the field of RF payloads, including the definition of ESA R&D programmes,
- Define technical requirements and statements of work for R&D activities to be performed by industry, from early conceptual studies to full hardware development,
- Carry out computer simulations at system/subsystem level for the assessment of end-to-end payload performance, with particular emphasis on signal quality for navigation payloads,
- Contribute to the development/usage of internally developed analysis/simulation tools,
- Maintain state-of-the-art expertise by monitoring the RF/Microwavesystems technological trends and applying them in the day-to-day tasks
- University Master’s degree in Telecommunications, Microwave or RF Electronics Engineering,
- At least 4 years of experience in design and development of Radio Frequency Payloads in the domain of Navigation Satellite communications, or any other relevant space domain
- Solid, hands-on experience in RF and digital Payload development (and relevant subsystems) integrated into a project/procurement environment is required
Knowledge and Experience on the following topics are considered an asset:
- Radio frequency and microwave payloads architectures and technologies
- Two-way time and frequency transfer and synchronisation techniques and relevant technologies
- Simulation of RF Payloads, communication systems and performance assessment (with e.g. Matlab, Phyton)
- Digital signal processing techniques
- End-to-end payload performance and signal quality analysis,
- Promoting cooperation and team-working, problem solving.
- Proficiency in English both oral and written is essential (Dutch or English mother-tongue is not mandatory).
- Knowledge of another EU member state language is an asset.
Within Serco we believe there is a place here for everyone. Diversity & Inclusion at Serco is based on a culture where every voice is heard, and every employee feels valued. Working together as one team, we can enhance the experience of our people and teams, improve the value of our solutions to better serve the missions of our customers, and make a difference in our world. We are enthusiastic and passionate about our work which is infectious. We allow our employees to take responsibility for their work and promote a positive working culture.#
What we offer:
- Competitive Salary.
- Corporate Benefits Package.
- Support provided on relocation – Information available upon request.
- Company Events.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the EU.