Field(s) of expertise
Software Engineering Space Systems Engineering
About this job
Serco is a leading Space Services Provider with thousands of skilled resources that has supported over 50 space missions on behalf of more than 10 Space or Government agencies around the globe, including the ESA and NASA. Serco offers space capability across the full space lifecycle from satellite testing to Launch services, LEOP to spacecraft operations, space surveillance to data management, and supporting downstream application development. With over 55 years history in the space sector Serco is well placed to contribute to National strategies and New Space ventures who want to scale their businesses/organizations with skilled talent.
We are seeking a Columbus System & Payload Engineer to work on our Customers Site (ESA-ESTEC) in the Netherlands. This is a fantastic opportunity to get into one of the most sought-after space agencies in the world. The support period is from 01/10/2023 to 31/12/2024.
The core activities for this post are envisaged as follows:
- Contribution to the Performance Reviews of the COL SE&I industrial service contractors.
- Support to Columbus operations and engineering feasibility assessments.
- Support the execution of COL infrastructure operations in ISS increments.
- Participate in the establishment of strategy and policy for long-term operations and maintenance for the ESA payload flight systems.
- Oversee and coordinate Engineering integration and logistics for P/Ls (Payloads) and experiments with the various involved stakeholders (Esa internal, industry partners).
- Implement the Columbus systems and Payloads Engineering Operations and Maintenance Services and any interagency agreements for sustaining engineering of jointly operated facilities.
- Support the implementation of ESA operations support contracts.
- Coordinate and interact with other service providers in operations and other fields, like Columbus and Payloads enhancement and procurement organisation.
- Support the increment integration activities and participate and represent ESA SE&Ias required on the increment integration and payload mission readiness meetings.
- Manage and coordinate with the Product Assurance the Material Review Boards (MRB) process as needed to support the resolution and recovery of failures (inputs and summaries) for on-ground and on-orbit elements.
- Participate in the ECB process representing ESA as required.
- Interface with the industrial System or Payload Engineering Manager as required for the implementation of engineering and maintenance function including monitoring of the industrial activities required for the repair and upgrades of the hardware.
- Interaction with industrial operations engineering teams to manage the espective engineering work packages.
- Evaluate and implement spare procurement and change requests.
- Participate in the Design and Acceptance Review Process of the assigned European ISS elements, enhancements, and experiments.
- Contribute to the contractual transition for projects that have completed the development phase.
- Manage the transfer and integration of the new infrastructure elements including the Engineering Data Base from the developers to the exploitation documentation database.
- Familiarise with new infrastructure elements and processes as applicable.
- Coordinate inputs in contribution to periodical progress meetings with the industrial SE&I service contractors.
- Provide operations engineering support/expertise to projects in the C/D phase, with the goal to establish the operations engineering and maintenance concepts.
- Review and assess Experiment Science Requirements (ESRs) for engineering integration and maintenance aspects.
- Master’s degree in Engineering or Physics.
- At least 4 years of relevant experience.
- Several years of experience in the design and verification of Operations related systems and products for the International Space Station programme.
- Software experience is an advantage.
- Promoting cooperation and team-working, problem solving.
- Fluency in English, both written and spoken.
- Knowledge of another EU member state language is an asset.
- Candidates must be eligible to work in the EU.
Within Serco we believe there is a place here for everyone. Diversity & Inclusion at Serco is based on a culture where every voice is heard, and every employee feels valued. Working together as one team, we can enhance the experience of our people and teams, improve the value of our solutions to better serve the missions of our customers, and make a difference in our world. We are enthusiastic and passionate about our work which is infectious. We allow our employees to take responsibility for their work and promote a positive working culture
What we offer:
- Competitive Salary.
- Corporate Benefits Package.
- Support provided on relocation – Information available upon request.
- Company Events.