Field(s) of expertise
Space Systems Engineering
About this job
Serco is a trusted provider of services to National Space Agencies and the European Space Agency (ESA), we have over 40 years’ experience supporting the space sector and providing services for all stages of our customer’s space missions.
Dedicated to the European Space Agency’s Earth-observing activities, ESA-ESRIN is the European centre of excellence for exploitation of Earth observation missions. The mission and payload operations of ESA’s Earth observation satellites are managed here, and ESRIN is the primary source for the acquisition, distribution, and exploitation of data from these and other non-ESA satellites.
We are currently seeking a Junior System Engineer to join our team in Frascati, Italy. As a valued member of our diverse team, your primary responsibility will be to contribute your skills to the IRIDE FOS project, ensuring its seamless operation.
- Investigating and identifying the root causes of operational issues.
- Vigilantly observing and analysing performance results and systems functioning to identify areas for improvement and optimize processes.
- Developing corrective actions to resolve operational issues.
- Supporting the start-up and integration of new operations projects.
- Creating scripts to automate standard tasks.
- Managing system and application incidents to quickly restore services.
- Locating and addressing the underlying root causes of system and application problems to prevent incidents from recurring.
- Managing software change and release, integration and validation activities, software installation and operational verification.
- Transforming data to standard satellite formats and ensuring the dissemination of satellite data to end-users.
- Establishing, documenting, and maintaining operational procedures.
- Collecting, analysing, and summarizing engineering and operating trends and data.
- Analysing customer needs and problems to recommend new solutions.
- Generating ideas to innovate managed applications and contributing to their continuous evolution.
- Regularly interacting with technical, applications, and operational staff to ensure system integrity and security.
- Monitoring applications and analysing alarms.
- Interface with third-party suppliers.
- Supporting technical notes editing.
- Generating and maintaining operational procedures and work instructions.
- Executing regular application maintenance activities.
- Proficient in Linux shell scripting.
- Proficient in Linux (especially Red Hat), but not limited to.
- Basic knowledge of HTML and XML.
- Basic knowledge of Apache, Tomcat.
- Basic knowledge of Python programming.
- Basic knowledge of OpenLDAP.
- Basic knowledge of DB technologies, including MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, SQL, ElasticSearch.
- Basic understanding of Networking concepts.
- Experience in Requirements Definition and Analysis, Project Planning, and Reporting.
- Familiarity with Docker and Kubernetes technologies.
- Familiarity with Storage and Cloud technologies.
- Good English Technical Writing skills.
- Knowledge of ESA ECSS standards is an asset.
- Knowledge of Satellite products standards is an asset.
- Knowledge of Grafana/Kibana technology is an asset.
- Java programming language knowledge.
- PHP programming language knowledge.
- Fluent in English Language, both written and spoken (>=B2).
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to meet schedules and milestones.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Proactive problem-solving attitude.
- Ability to work collaboratively and share knowledge.
- Willingness to travel abroad for short-term periods.
Within Serco we believe there is a place here for everyone. Diversity & Inclusion at Serco is based on a culture where every voice is heard, and every employee feels valued. Working together as one team, we can enhance the experience of our people and teams, improve the value of our solutions to better serve the missions of our customers, and make a difference in our world. We are enthusiastic and passionate about our work which is infectious. We allow our employees to take responsibility for their work and promote a positive working culture.
What we offer:
- Competitive Salary.
- Corporate Benefits Package.
- Support provided on relocation – Information available upon request.
- Company Events.