Field(s) of expertise
About this job
Serco is a leading Space Services Provider with thousands of skilled resources that has supported over 50 space missions on behalf of more than 10 Space or Government agencies around the globe, including the ESA and NASA. Serco offers space capability across the full space lifecycle from satellite testing to Launch services, LEOP to spacecraft operations, space surveillance to data management, and supporting downstream application development.
On behalf of our customer EUMETSAT, we are looking for a Data Access Systems Operations Software Engineer. This is a hybrid role working on-site at EUMETSAT 3 days a week and 2 days a week from home.
- Supporting the planning, management and operations of real-time dissemination services.
- Support to EUMETCast, its e-stations, hardware and software installations and supporting users.
- Data and system analysis.
- Operational performance monitoring and reporting, including the development, documentation and maintenance of the relevant tools for e.g. dissemination statistics generation and reporting, and Multi Mission Data Access facilities monitoring and reporting.
- The development, testing and implementation of new software configurations.
- Document creation and maintenance.
- Creation of and delivery of training material to various audiences, for example from users through to engineers.
- Anomaly investigations.
- First line maintenance, including on-call support.
- Co-ordinating with other service providers, external organisations and partners.
- Attendance to and writing of minutes for technical/service meetings.
- Participation in formal reviews.
- Coordination of DASO operational scheduling and planning.
- Contributing to validation campaigns, supporting operations build ups and taking new services or missions into routine service.
- Taking ownership of and acting as expert on the Multi Mission Data Access facilities.
In addition to having a university degree (or equivalent) in a discipline relevant to the job profile, the successful candidate will bring demonstrated experience in the operation and maintenance of real-time, complex, 24/7 communications or command and control system.
Knowledge and experience:
- Software development of real-time file based data access systems would be highly desirable.
- Experience of large-scale distribution of high data volumes is essential, with a particular focus on multicast technologies being an advantage.
- Familiarity with agile and DevOps techniques would be a distinct advantage.
The following skills are essential for this position:
- Experience of basic system administration, i.e. configuration, installation and shell scripting for Linux and Windows.
- Familiarity with satellite system ground segment operations.
- Demonstrated experience in major Linux distributions and Windows (Windows 10 or later) as a user.
- Computer analysis skills, including analysis of events and logs.
- Presentation skills.
- Familiarity with MS Project, PowerPoint, Word, Excel and Teams.
- Experience with configuration control.
- Familiarity with issue tracking tools (e.g. JIRA).
The successful candidate will be fluent in English and able to work effectively in this language with a minimum of supervision. They will be able to conduct all activities proactively in an orderly and disciplined manner as part of a small team, including when under pressure. All candidates must be eligible to work in the EU.
Within Serco we believe there is a place here for everyone. Diversity & Inclusion at Serco is based on a culture where every voice is heard, and every employee feels valued. Working together as one team, we can enhance the experience of our people and teams, improve the value of our solutions to better serve the missions of our customers, and make a difference in our world. We are enthusiastic and passionate about our work which is infectious. We allow our employees to take responsibility for their work and promote a positive working culture.
What we offer:
- Competitive Salary.
- Corporate Benefits.
- Package.Support provided on relocation – Information available upon request.
- Company Events.
Contact: Please send your CV (in English) as soon as possible to email@example.com .