Field(s) of expertise
About this job
Momentus provides in-space transportation services to spacecraft large and small, helping them reach their final destination. To do this, we are building in-space shuttles that carry satellites and spacecraft from the orbits that rockets leave them off in to where they need to operate in space.
Our in space shuttles are propelled by a revolutionary new type of electric propulsion system. No one has ever used water as a propellant in a plasma-based electric propulsion system before – we’ve built and flown the first propulsion system of this kind ever.
Momentus is looking for experienced propulsion design engineers who are interested in furthering the development of these innovative propulsion systems.
- Lead the development of propulsion components and systems (mechanical design, materials & manufacturing methods, etc) from initial concept to assembly, integration, and test
- Work with the Chief Engineer and VP of Propulsion to define engineering standards, methods, and best practices for the company’s propulsion systems
- Lead in the definition and execution of test plans for acceptance, qualification, and endurance testing of propulsion systems and components
- Support qualification, integration, and testing efforts of propulsion systems and components
- Assist in definition and documentation of assembly and manufacturing processes
- Work with other engineers to drive components and subsystems to flight maturity
- BS in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or the equivalent
- A graduate degree (MS or PhD) is preferred
- 6-10+ years of experience with the design of space propulsion systems (arcjet, resistojet, cold gas, bipropellant or monopropellant preferred)
- Experience with the full engineering life cycle of flight propulsion systems
- Deep understanding of fluid mechanics and compressible flow
- Familiarity with manufacturing methods, materials, and failure methods for high temperature propulsion systems
- A strong background in CAD (we use Solidworks)
- Comfortable in a laboratory environment
- Ability to drive projects to completion
- Willingness to serve as a mentor, team player, and major contributor in a team of highly skilled engineers