Field(s) of expertise
Aerospace Engineering Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
About this job
Momentus provides in-space transportation services to spacecraft large and small, helping them reach their final destination. To do this, we are building in-space shuttles that carry satellites and spacecraft from the orbits that rockets leave them off in to where they need to operate in space.
Our in space shuttles are propelled by a revolutionary new type of electric propulsion system. No one has ever used water as a propellant in a plasma-based electric propulsion system before – we’ve built and flown the first propulsion system of this kind ever.
Momentus is looking for talented early career propulsion engineers who are interested in furthering the development of these innovative propulsion systems.
- Assist in the design and testing of microwave-based plasma propulsion systems.
- Design and test fluid system components and assemblies.
- Assist in the definition and execution of test plans for acceptance, qualification, and endurance testing of propulsion systems and components.
- Support qualification, integration, and testing efforts of propulsion systems and components.
- Assist in definition and documentation of assembly and manufacturing processes.
- Work with other engineers to drive components and subsystems to flight maturity.
- BS in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or the equivalent and 0-2 years experience.
- MS preferred.
- A thorough understanding of compressible flow and propulsion concepts.
- A background in CAD tools (we use Solidworks).
- Experience with laboratory equipment (electrical, vacuum, gas systems).
- Some experience in numerical methods (CFD, heat transfer, electromagnetics).
- Coursework in heat transfer, fluid mechanics, plasma physics, space environments, systems engineering, reacting flows.
- University lab or club experience in CubeSATs or solid / liquid rockets is a big plus.
Salary and option compensation is commensurate with experience and training. This is a full time position in Santa Clara, California. This position requires access to export-controlled commodities, technical data, technology, software, and services. U.S. citizenship, U.S. legal permanent resident status, or protected person status under 8 U.S.C. Â